Chairman, Section of General Surgery
MD specializing in general surgery
Board eligible or board certified in general surgery. The successful candidate for full or associate professor rank must have credentials that meet criteria for appointment at rank per UW School of Medicine and Public Health guidelines for appointment and promotion on the CHS track.
The Department of Surgery is recruiting for an exceptional candidate to serve as the Chairman, Section of General Surgery in the UW Department of Surgery. This position will lead five general surgery divisions (Trauma/Acute Care, Surgical Oncology, Minimally-Invasive, Colorectal/General Surgery, and Endocrine Surgery) and the VAH clinical and research programs, including 45 full-time and 60 adjunct faculty members.
The administrative responsibilities for the Chairman will include:
- Recruitment for all new/replacement General Surgery faculty
- Development of new clinical and research programs
- Leadership of General Surgery research activities, funding, space, and staff
- Supervision of 120 staff FTE in the division
- Oversee accreditation and budget for general surgery residency, endocrine surgery fellowship, minimally invasive surgery fellowship, critical care fellowship
- Manage the Comprehensive General Surgery Coverage program at outlying Hospitals
The successful candidate will have the strong leadership experience, exceptional clinical skills, and a strong research interest. This position may also have responsibility for the training and education of medical students, general surgery residents, and fellows.
The successful candidate will also participate in professional, public and university service.