Samuel P Gubbels, MD, FACS has been designated the State Champion for all of WI by the American Cochlear Implant Alliance. The ACIA developed the State Champion program to proactively address coverage of cochlear implantation at the state and national levels. What an honor!
State Champions in each state will:
- Make/maintain contact with appropriate state officials
- Seek “Gold Standard Language” for cochlear implants in the state’s EHB plan
- Serve as a point of contact for ACI Alliance and other members who wish to advocate
- Monitor how the ACA rolls out in each state to proactively protect coverage of cochlear implantation
- Report back to ACI Alliance so that we can impact on Federal policies and the Federal Exchange
At present, 21 states have one or more State Champions. State Champions will lead activities related to the Affordable Care Act and, over time, lead other access initiatives.
View the complete list of State Champions here.
Learn more about the Cochlear Implant Program at UW Health here.