During the first multidisciplinary ‘peer review’ / ‘process improvement’ meeting for the various ‘divisions’ of the Department of Medicine, faculty were discussing ways to improve patient care across the whole department. One faculty member brought forth the services of the acute surgical consultative service. She described the service as exemplary in promptness, thoroughness, and communication, and held it as a standard for other consultative services across the institution. Congratulations to the faculty and staff working hard to meet the needs of our patients!
The Department would like to recognize faculty and academic staff members who mentored Undergraduate Research Scholars (URS) during the 2010-11 academic year. The mentors in Otolaryngology were Zhen Chang Davis, Michael Hammer, Jack Jiang, and Nathan Welham. Vascular Surgery mentors were Bo Liu and Stephanie Morgan and Tracey Weigel in Cardiothoracic Surgery. For students, faculty mentoring can significantly improve overall academic performance. URS data show clear evidence of increased retention and graduation rates, and in particular for students from underrepresented minorities. Thank you for your contributions!
Three medical students who did research in the Department of Surgery will receive the 2011 Herman and Gwendolyn Shapiro “Excellence in Student Research” Award. Monica Woll and Katie McManus (mentored by Herb Chen) and Lynn Frydrych (mentored by Josh Mezrich) will receive a $500 cash gift and recognition at the Honors and Awards ceremony on Thursday, May 12.
Researchers in Otolaryngology experienced tremendous success at two recent conferences. At the Dysphagia Research Society Annual Conference Nadine Connor, PhD, won 1st Place Oral Presentation (out of 100 talks), Allison Schaser, MS (Connor Lab) won a New Investigator Award from the American Speech-Language Hearing Assoc. At the Wisconsin Speech & Hearing Association Annual Conference-Competitive Poster Sessions, Cynthia Chow, BS (Gubbels Labb), Corinne Jones, MS (McCulloch Lab), Jaime Shier, BS (Ciucci Lab), and Laura Grant, BS (Ciucci Lab) won awards.
Herb Chen was chosen as the recipient of the dean’s award for medical student mentoring. The award will be given at Medical Education Day on Tuesday, April 26.
For the Calendar
The Department of Surgery Research Retreat is scheduled for January 11, 2012 at Epic Conference Center.
Divisions announced their new class of 1st year residents:
- Rebecca Busch – Washington University
- Lane Frasier – University of Michigan
- Walker Julliard – University of Rochester
- Anne-Lise Maag – University of Michigan
- Michael Nabozny – University of Rochester
- Ryan Schmocker – Northwestern University
- Anuoluwapo Elegbede – University of Wisconsin
- Patrick Shebino – University of Wisconsin
We also will have 2 Radiology residents do their General Surgery internship with us:
- Erica Knavel – University of Wisconsin
- Matthew Lee – University of Wisconsin
- Christopher Britt – St. Louis University
- Jacob Feldman – University of Arizona (Twin Brother, Ben, will be PGY4 in June 2011)
- Swapna Musurunu – Indiana University
- Jessica Secor – Wright State University
- Jenny Chen – Indiana University School of Medicine
- Amanda Nelson – University of Washington School of Medicine
Transplant Surgery Fellows
- Christopher Kenney, MD, PhD – University of Chicago
- Phillip Weems, MD – University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Wassim Abi Jaoude, MD – SUNY Downstate Medical Center