Dr. Bat-Erdene visited from Health Sciences University of Mongolia to discuss a partnership with the UW Division of Plastic Surgery. He and his colleagues from Ulaanbaatar already tune into live, weekly UW Plastic Surgery grand round webcasts, and his visit follows a spring visit by the Dean of the medical school.
Dr. Heather Neuman was selected to receive the 2011-2012 Society of University Surgeons (SUS) Clinical Scholar Award. The one-year, highly competitive award of $30,000 is intended to support a surgeon whose work involves clinical or outcomes research related to a surgical disease. Dr. Neuman will appear before the Scientific Session of the 2013 Academic Surgical Congress Meeting to provide a final report on her research.
In an email sent from a distinguished surgeon from an unnamed university in Boston, we heard “I didn’t get a chance to chat with you but it did not escape notice the explosion of great things coming out of Madison these days. The diversity of projects and quality of presentations from students, residents, and young staff was very, very impressive.” The comment came as a result of the Department of Surgery’s presence at the Association of Academic Surgery and the Society of University Surgeons. A list of accomplishments follows.
Association of Academic Surgery
- David Foley was appointed to the executive council as the liaison to the National Association of Biomedical Research
- Rebecca Sippel, AAS representative from UW, was appointed to the executive council as the liaison to the Association of Surgical Education
- Ankush Gosain was appointed to the program committee.
- UW Surgery was #2 as far as the institution with the most abstracts presented.
- Three UW medical students participated in the medical student “quick shot session” for the top 10 abstracts submitted by a medical student.
- Caprice Greenberg ran a Session on Outcomes Research that was highly successful and was elected to the AAS nominating committee.
Society of University Surgeons
- Sharon Weber was elected SUS Councilor and member of the SUS executive council.
- Luis Fernandez was appointed to the Committee on Social and Legislative issues.
- Chuck Heise was appointed to the Membership Committee.
- Four faculty were elected to membership in SUS: Lee Wilke, Greg Kennedy, Dave Foley, and Becky Sippel
Kudos to a Great Employee
In an email sent last week Wednesday during the big storm, Terry Legler, Program Assistant Supervisor in Cardiothoracic Surgery, informed us: “We are getting plowed out but it drifts in as soon as we get through. Have been out since 6:00 a.m. shoveling and snowblowing. Our phones are all transferred to paging. I have spoken to patients and rescheduled appointments and reassured those that are at hotels waiting for surgery tomorrow. Cardiac and Thoracic seem to be okay for now. Paging has already been transferring important calls to me on my phone so we seem to be set. Thank you everyone. Everybody stay safe and warm.” We thank and applaud Terry for going the extra mile to assure outstanding service to our surgeons and patients.