Dr. Girma Tefera with support from Jon Matsumura led a two day educational program for surgeons and cardiologists who practice in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. The Abbott Vascular sponsored training is mandated and approved by the FDA for physicians prior to being allowed to perform carotid artery stenting with embolic protection. Training included sixteen didactic lectures, case study reviews, tabletop device review, performance of procedures on simulators, observation of five live cases broadcast from UWHC, and knowledge and technical skill testing.
Honors and Awards
The Biological Sciences Divisional Committee has tenured Susan Thibeault, PhD, faculty member in Otolaryngology. Her unanimous promotion to Associate Professor will begin on July 1, 2010.
The SMPH CHS Track Appointments and Promotions Committee unanimously endorsed two general surgery faculty: Dr. Guilherme Campos’ promotion to Associate Professor, CHS effective April 1, 2010 and Sharon Weber to Professor, CHS effective July 1, 2010. Dr. Weber is now one of two female CHS Professors in the Department of Surgery (joining Tracey Weigel) and one of 15 CHS Professors in the Medical School (out of 150 CHS female faculty). Congratulations!
The following medical students and residents matched in Surgery residencies and fellowships for 2010
- Brian Nam (Mayo Clinic)
- Laura Fischer (Columbia University)
- Lung-Yi Lee (University of Pittsburgh)
- Sara Murray (University of Minnesota)
- Vanessa Nomellini (Loyola University)
- Kari Obma (University of Wisconsin)
- Sarah Tevis (University of Wisconsin)
- Will Brand (Virginia Commonwealth University)
- Dylan Lippert (Wake Forest University)
- Carrie Goldberg (Yale)
- Steve Kempton (Loma Linda)
- James McCarthy (Dartmouth)
- Silke Niederhaus (Wisconsin)
- Chandrasekar Santhanakrishnan (UC-Davis)
- Joseph Bobadilla (University of Wisconsin)