Bo Liu, PhD
- Division of Vascular Surgery
Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research (WIMR) BLDG. 1485
1111 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705-2275
- MS, Biology, Beijing University, Beijing, China, 1986
- PhD, Biochemistry, SUNY Downstate, New York, NY, 1993
- Postdoctoral fellow, Signal transduction; protein degradation, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1994-1996
- Postdoctoral fellow, Transcription regulation; signal transduction, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 1996-1999
The primary focus of Dr. Liu’s research is the biology of blood vessels. Specifically, Dr. Liu and her trainees study the cellular and molecular pathologies of restenosis and abdominal aortic aneurysm, two common vascular disorders that are in critical need of effective pharmacological treatments. Their experimental approach combines in vitro molecular and biochemical methodologies with transgenic, gene knockout, adenoviral and surgical technologies. Current research topics include cell apoptosis, programmed necrosis, vascular inflammation, progenitor cell recruitment, as well as matrix biology. Additional research interests are gene therapy and nanotechnology. To effectively study human disease, Dr. Liu has established productive collaborations with basic scientists and clinicians from a wide range of scientific and medical disciplines. Dr. Liu is also a devoted mentor, whose lab environment fosters creative thinking, multidisciplinary approaches, independence, and collaboration.
- Loss of the FAT1 Tumor Suppressor Promotes Resistance to CDK4/6 Inhibitors via the Hippo Pathway.
- Li Z, Razavi P, Li Q, Toy W, Liu B, Ping C, Hsieh W, Sanchez-Vega F, Brown DN, Da Cruz Paula AF, Morris L, Selenica P, Eichenberger E, Shen R, Schultz N, Rosen N, Scaltriti M, Brogi E, Baselga J, Reis-Filho JS, Chandarlapaty S
- Cancer Cell 2018 Dec 10; 34(6): 893-905.e8
- [PubMed ID: 30537512]
- Synthetic Lethal and Convergent Biological Effects of Cancer-Associated Spliceosomal Gene Mutations.
- Lee SC, North K, Kim E, Jang E, Obeng E, Lu SX, Liu B, Inoue D, Yoshimi A, Ki M, Yeo M, Zhang XJ, Kim MK, Cho H, Chung YR, Taylor J, Durham BH, Kim YJ, Pastore A, Monette S, Palacino J, Seiler M, Buonamici S, Smith PG, Ebert BL, Bradley RK, Abdel-Wahab O
- Cancer Cell 2018 Aug 13; 34(2): 225-241.e8
- [PubMed ID: 30107174]
- Necroptosis in cardiovascular disease - a new therapeutic target.
- Gupta K, Phan N, Wang Q, Liu B
- J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 2018 May; 118: 26-35
- [PubMed ID: 29524460]
- Deficits in Col5a2 Expression Result in Novel Skin and Adipose Abnormalities and Predisposition to Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections.
- Park AC, Phan N, Massoudi D, Liu Z, Kernien JF, Adams SM, Davidson JM, Birk DE, Liu B, Greenspan DS
- Am. J. Pathol. 2017 Oct; 187(10): 2300-2311
- [PubMed ID: 28734943]
- Inhibition of Receptor-Interacting Protein Kinase 1 with Necrostatin-1s ameliorates disease progression in elastase-induced mouse abdominal aortic aneurysm model.
- Wang Q, Zhou T, Liu Z, Ren J, Phan N, Gupta K, Stewart DM, Morgan S, Assa C, Kent KC, Liu B
- Sci Rep 2017 02 10; 7: 42159
- [PubMed ID: 28186202]