Bo Liu, PhD
- Division of Vascular Surgery
Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research (WIMR) BLDG. 1485
1111 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705-2275
- MS, Biology, Beijing University, Beijing, China, 1986
- PhD, Biochemistry, SUNY Downstate, New York, NY, 1993
- Postdoctoral fellow, Signal transduction; protein degradation, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1994-1996
- Postdoctoral fellow, Transcription regulation; signal transduction, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 1996-1999
The primary focus of Dr. Liu’s research is the biology of blood vessels. Specifically, Dr. Liu and her trainees study the cellular and molecular pathologies of restenosis and abdominal aortic aneurysm, two common vascular disorders that are in critical need of effective pharmacological treatments. Their experimental approach combines in vitro molecular and biochemical methodologies with transgenic, gene knockout, adenoviral and surgical technologies. Current research topics include cell apoptosis, programmed necrosis, vascular inflammation, progenitor cell recruitment, as well as matrix biology. Additional research interests are gene therapy and nanotechnology. To effectively study human disease, Dr. Liu has established productive collaborations with basic scientists and clinicians from a wide range of scientific and medical disciplines. Dr. Liu is also a devoted mentor, whose lab environment fosters creative thinking, multidisciplinary approaches, independence, and collaboration.
- Altered Nuclear Export Signal Recognition as a Driver of Oncogenesis.
- Taylor J, Sendino M, Gorelick AN, Pastore A, Chang MT, Penson AV, Gavrila EI, Stewart C, Melnik EM, Herrejon Chavez F, Bitner L, Yoshimi A, Lee SC, Inoue D, Liu B, Zhang XJ, Mato AR, Dogan A, Kharas MG, Chen Y, Wang D, Soni RK, Hendrickson RC, Prieto G, Rodriguez JA, Taylor BS, Abdel-Wahab O
- Cancer Discov 2019 Oct; 9(10): 1452-1467
- [PubMed ID: 31285298]
- Novel Paracrine Functions of Smooth Muscle Cells in Supporting Endothelial Regeneration Following Arterial Injury.
- Ren J, Zhou T, Pilli VSS, Phan N, Wang Q, Gupta K, Liu Z, Sheibani N, Liu B
- Circ. Res. 2019 Apr 12; 124(8): 1253-1265
- [PubMed ID: 30739581]
- Identification of a novel class of RIP1/RIP3 dual inhibitors that impede cell death and inflammation in mouse abdominal aortic aneurysm models.
- Zhou T, Wang Q, Phan N, Ren J, Yang H, Feldman CC, Feltenberger JB, Ye Z, Wildman SA, Tang W, Liu B
- Cell Death Dis 2019 Mar 06; 10(3): 226
- [PubMed ID: 30842407]
- Loss of the FAT1 Tumor Suppressor Promotes Resistance to CDK4/6 Inhibitors via the Hippo Pathway.
- Li Z, Razavi P, Li Q, Toy W, Liu B, Ping C, Hsieh W, Sanchez-Vega F, Brown DN, Da Cruz Paula AF, Morris L, Selenica P, Eichenberger E, Shen R, Schultz N, Rosen N, Scaltriti M, Brogi E, Baselga J, Reis-Filho JS, Chandarlapaty S
- Cancer Cell 2018 12 10; 34(6): 893-905.e8
- [PubMed ID: 30537512]
- Synthetic Lethal and Convergent Biological Effects of Cancer-Associated Spliceosomal Gene Mutations.
- Lee SC, North K, Kim E, Jang E, Obeng E, Lu SX, Liu B, Inoue D, Yoshimi A, Ki M, Yeo M, Zhang XJ, Kim MK, Cho H, Chung YR, Taylor J, Durham BH, Kim YJ, Pastore A, Monette S, Palacino J, Seiler M, Buonamici S, Smith PG, Ebert BL, Bradley RK, Abdel-Wahab O
- Cancer Cell 2018 08 13; 34(2): 225-241.e8
- [PubMed ID: 30107174]