Bo Liu, PhD
- Division of Vascular Surgery
Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research (WIMR) BLDG. 1485
1111 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705-2275
- MS, Biology, Beijing University, Beijing, China, 1986
- PhD, Biochemistry, SUNY Downstate, New York, NY, 1993
- Postdoctoral fellow, Signal transduction; protein degradation, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1994-1996
- Postdoctoral fellow, Transcription regulation; signal transduction, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 1996-1999
The primary focus of Dr. Liu’s research is the biology of blood vessels. Specifically, Dr. Liu and her trainees study the cellular and molecular pathologies of restenosis and abdominal aortic aneurysm, two common vascular disorders that are in critical need of effective pharmacological treatments. Their experimental approach combines in vitro molecular and biochemical methodologies with transgenic, gene knockout, adenoviral and surgical technologies. Current research topics include cell apoptosis, programmed necrosis, vascular inflammation, progenitor cell recruitment, as well as matrix biology. Additional research interests are gene therapy and nanotechnology. To effectively study human disease, Dr. Liu has established productive collaborations with basic scientists and clinicians from a wide range of scientific and medical disciplines. Dr. Liu is also a devoted mentor, whose lab environment fosters creative thinking, multidisciplinary approaches, independence, and collaboration.
- Inhibition of Receptor-Interacting Protein Kinase 1 with Necrostatin-1s ameliorates disease progression in elastase-induced mouse abdominal aortic aneurysm model.
- Wang Q, Zhou T, Liu Z, Ren J, Phan N, Gupta K, Stewart DM, Morgan S, Assa C, Kent KC, Liu B
- Sci Rep 2017 Feb 10; 7: 42159
- [PubMed ID: 28186202]
- Local CXCR4 Upregulation in the Injured Arterial Wall Contributes to Intimal Hyperplasia.
- Shi X, Guo LW, Seedial S, Takayama T, Wang B, Zhang M, Franco SR, Si Y, Chaudhary MA, Liu B, Kent KC
- Stem Cells 2016 Nov; 34(11): 2744-2757
- [PubMed ID: 27340942]
- Periadventitial drug delivery for the prevention of intimal hyperplasia following open surgery.
- Chaudhary MA, Guo LW, Shi X, Chen G, Gong S, Liu B, Kent KC
- J Control Release 2016 07 10; 233: 174-80
- [PubMed ID: 27179635]
- Andrographolide Ameliorates Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Progression by Inhibiting Inflammatory Cell Infiltration through Downregulation of Cytokine and Integrin Expression.
- Ren J, Liu Z, Wang Q, Giles J, Greenberg J, Sheibani N, Kent KC, Liu B
- J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 2016 Jan; 356(1): 137-47
- [PubMed ID: 26483397]
- Polymer Multilayers that Promote the Rapid Release and Contact Transfer of DNA.
- Yu Y, Si Y, Bechler SL, Liu B, Lynn DM
- Biomacromolecules 2015 Sep 14; 16(9): 2998-3007
- [PubMed ID: 26285737]