Charles W Acher, MD
- Division of Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Box 7375 Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Indiana University Medical School, Indianapolis, IN, 1973
- Internship and Residency, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1973-1978
- Fellow, GI and Peripheral Vascular Surgery, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Gloucester, England, 1978-1980
- Instructor in Vascular Surgery, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1981-1982
- Peripheral Vascular Fellow, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1982-1983
Dr. Acher is certified by the American Board of Surgery, with a certificate of additional qualifications in vascular surgery. His clinical interests include prevention of ischemic spinal cord injury in repair of thoraco-abdominal aneurysms (TAA), renal and visceral arterial occlusive disease, minimally invasive endovascular surgery, treatment of cerebral vascular occlusive disease for stroke prevention (carotid and subclavian revascularization), and limb salvage in severe vascular disease.
Dr. Acher provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Compartment Syndrome Treatments, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Thoracic Aortic Aneursym – Endovascular, Thoracic Aortic Aneursym – Open, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Treatment, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Acher’s current research activities include participation in a VA cooperative study on aneurysm detection and management, research in treatment of thoracoabdominal aneurysm, and prevention of paraplegia in thoracic aneurysm surgery.
- Natural history of the proximal aorta in patients with descending thoracic aortic disease.
- Tang PC, DiMusto PD, De Oliveira NC, Rademacher BL, Philip JL, Akhter SA, Acher CW
- J. Vasc. Surg. 2018 06; 67(6): 1659-1663
- [PubMed ID: 29276106]
- Parental and Volunteer Perception of Pyloromyotomy Scars: Comparing Laparoscopic, Open, and Nonsurgical Volunteers.
- St Peter SD, Acher CW, Shah SR, Sharp SW, Ostlie DJ
- J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2016 Apr; 26(4): 305-8
- [PubMed ID: 26982115]
- The effect of intercostal artery reimplantation on spinal cord injury in thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm surgery.
- Wynn M, Acher C, Marks E, Acher CW
- J. Vasc. Surg. 2016 Aug; 64(2): 289-296
- [PubMed ID: 26994955]
- Intraoperative neuroprotective interventions prevent spinal cord ischemia and injury in thoracic endovascular aortic repair.
- Acher C, Acher CW, Marks E, Wynn M
- J. Vasc. Surg. 2016 06; 63(6): 1458-65
- [PubMed ID: 26968081]
- Long-Term Outcomes of Patients with Tracheoesophageal Fistula/Esophageal Atresia: Survey Results from Tracheoesophageal Fistula/Esophageal Atresia Online Communities.
- Acher CW, Ostlie DJ, Leys CM, Struckmeyer S, Parker M, Nichol PF
- Eur J Pediatr Surg 2016 Dec; 26(6): 476-480
- [PubMed ID: 26692337]