- PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2001
- MS, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 1998
- BA, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, 1995
Dr. Voils, a social psychologist, uses qualitative and quantitative methodologies to study and improve treatment adherence. One area of interest is in developing and evaluating behavioral interventions to improve long-term weight loss. She led randomized controlled trials (RCT) to evaluate a telephone-delivered, spouse-assisted intervention to improve patient cholesterol levels (CouPLES) and to evaluate a weight loss maintenance intervention following behavioral weight loss (MAINTAIN). More recently she has been adapting this work to promote weight loss maintenance following weight loss surgery and to evaluate the impact of financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and weight loss.
A second area of interest is genomics health services research. Dr. Voils led an RCT to evaluate the clinical utility of genetic testing for type 2 diabetes. She is currently PI of an RCT to evaluate effectiveness and implementation of an information technology innovation that collects patient-entered family history and provides decision support to patients and providers.
Dr. Voils also has a strong interest in developing novel research methodologies. She developed methods for synthesizing qualitative and quantitative research findings. She also developed a self-report measure of medication nonadherence that is currently being translated to other languages and disseminated in research and clinical settings in the United States and abroad. For more information about this measure, click here.
- Associations of Diabetes Genetic Risk Counseling with Incident Diabetes and Weight: 5-Year Follow-up of a Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Raghavan S, Xu K, Coffman CJ, Pabich S, Edelman D, Voils CI
- J Gen Intern Med 2019 Jul 16;
- [PubMed ID: 31313118]
- A Qualitative Analysis of the Preoperative Needs of Patients With Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
- Pitt SC, Wendt E, Saucke MC, Voils CI, Orne J, Macdonald CL, Connor NP, Sippel RS
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Jul 12; 244: 324-331
- [PubMed ID: 31306889]
- Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia Screening With Anal Pap Tests: Follow-Up and Corresponding Histology.
- Geltzeiler CB, Son J, Carchman EH, Lawson EH, Harms BA, Striker R, Selvaggi S, Voils CI
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Jul 05; 244: 117-121
- [PubMed ID: 31284140]
- Enrollment and Retention of Men and Women in Health Services Research and Development Trials.
- Goldstein KM, Duan-Porter W, Alkon A, Olsen MK, Voils CI, Hastings SN
- Womens Health Issues 2019 06 25; 29 Suppl 1: S121-S130
- [PubMed ID: 31253236]
- Content Validity and Reliability of a Self-Report Measure of Medication Nonadherence in Hepatitis C Treatment.
- Voils CI, King HA, Thorpe CT, Blalock DV, Kronish IM, Reeve BB, Boatright C, Gellad ZF
- Dig. Dis. Sci. 2019 Apr 29;
- [PubMed ID: 31037593]