Corrine Voils, PhD
- Scientific Director, WiSOR
- Divisions of General Surgery
K6/100 Clinical Science Center
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792
- PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2001
- MS, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 1998
- BA, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, 1995
Dr. Voils, social psychologist, uses qualitative and quantitative methodologies to study and improve treatment adherence. One area of Dr. Voils’ research interest is in developing and evaluating behavioral interventions for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. She led a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to evaluate a telephone-delivered, spouse-assisted intervention to improve patient cholesterol levels (CouPLES). She recently completed an RCT to evaluate a weight loss maintenance intervention following behavioral weight loss (MAINTAIN). She has a new pilot from the VA to evaluate the feasibility of adapting the intervention to promote weight loss maintenance among patients following bariatric surgery. With R34 funding from the NHLBI, she is evaluating the feasibility of providing financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and weight loss.
A second area of interest is genomics health services research. Dr. Voils led an RCT to evaluate the clinical utility of genetic testing for type 2 diabetes. She is currently PI of an RCT to evaluate effectiveness and implementation of an information technology innovation that collects patient-entered family history and provides decision support to patients and providers.
Dr. Voils also has a strong interest in research methodology. She has developed and validated a self-report measure of medication nonadherence and developed methods for synthesizing qualitative and quantitative research findings.
- Study protocol for Log2Lose: A feasibility randomized controlled trial to evaluate financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and interim weight loss in adults with obesity.
- Voils CI, Levine E, Gierisch JM, Pendergast J, Hale SL, McVay MA, Reed SD, Yancy WS, Bennett G, Strawbridge EM, White AC, Shaw RJ
- Contemp Clin Trials 2017 Dec 28; 65: 116-122
- [PubMed ID: 29289702]
- Comparison of Telephone and Televideo Modes for Delivery of Genetic Counseling: a Randomized Trial.
- Voils CI, Venne VL, Weidenbacher H, Sperber N, Datta S
- J Genet Couns 2017 Dec 15;
- [PubMed ID: 29243007]
- Development and Initial Validation of the Caregiver Perceptions About Communication With Clinical Team Members (CAPACITY) Measure.
- Van Houtven CH, Miller KEM, O'Brien EC, Wolff JL, Lindquist J, Kabat M, Campbell-Kotler M, Henius J, Voils CI
- Med Care Res Rev 2017 Dec 01; 1077558717747985
- [PubMed ID: 29262757]
- Bariatric surgery barriers: a review using Andersen's Model of Health Services Use.
- Imbus JR, Voils CI, Funk LM
- Surg Obes Relat Dis 2017 Nov 10;
- [PubMed ID: 29249585]
- The myths of medication adherence.
- Gellad WF, Thorpe CT, Steiner JF, Voils CI
- Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2017 Dec; 26(12): 1437-1441
- [PubMed ID: 28994158]