Corrine Voils, PhD
- Scientific Director, WiSOR
- Divisions of General Surgery
K6/100 Clinical Science Center
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792
- PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2001
- MS, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 1998
- BA, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, 1995
Dr. Voils, social psychologist, uses qualitative and quantitative methodologies to study and improve treatment adherence. One area of Dr. Voils’ research interest is in developing and evaluating behavioral interventions for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. She led a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to evaluate a telephone-delivered, spouse-assisted intervention to improve patient cholesterol levels (CouPLES). She recently completed an RCT to evaluate a weight loss maintenance intervention following behavioral weight loss (MAINTAIN). She has a new pilot from the VA to evaluate the feasibility of adapting the intervention to promote weight loss maintenance among patients following bariatric surgery. With R34 funding from the NHLBI, she is evaluating the feasibility of providing financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and weight loss.
A second area of interest is genomics health services research. Dr. Voils led an RCT to evaluate the clinical utility of genetic testing for type 2 diabetes. She is currently PI of an RCT to evaluate effectiveness and implementation of an information technology innovation that collects patient-entered family history and provides decision support to patients and providers.
Dr. Voils also has a strong interest in research methodology. She has developed and validated a self-report measure of medication nonadherence and developed methods for synthesizing qualitative and quantitative research findings.
- Effect of Sociodemographic Factors on Uptake of a Patient-Facing Information Technology Family Health History Risk Assessment Platform.
- Wu RR, Myers RA, Buchanan AH, Dimmock D, Fulda KG, Haller IV, Haga SB, Harry ML, McCarty C, Neuner J, Rakhra-Burris T, Sperber N, Voils CI, Ginsburg GS, Orlando LA
- Appl Clin Inform 2019 Mar; 10(2): 180-188
- [PubMed ID: 30866001]
- Invisible partners in care: Snapshot of well-being among caregivers receiving comprehensive support from Veterans Affairs.
- Miller KEM, Lindquist JH, Olsen MK, Smith V, Voils CI, Oddone EZ, Sperber NR, Shepherd-Banigan M, Wieland GD, Henius J, Kabat M, Van Houtven CH
- Health Sci Rep 2019 Mar; 2(3): e112
- [PubMed ID: 30937391]
- Self-reported medication nonadherence predicts cholesterol levels over time.
- Blalock DV, Zullig LL, Bosworth HB, Taylor SS, Voils CI
- J Psychosom Res 2019 Mar; 118: 49-55
- [PubMed ID: 30782354]
- Deficiencies in postoperative surveillance for veterans with gastrointestinal cancer.
- Taylor LJ, Xu K, Maloney JD, Voils CI, Weber SM, Funk LM, Abbott DE
- J Surg Oncol 2019 Mar; 119(3): 273-277
- [PubMed ID: 30554412]
- The role of psychological science in efforts to improve cardiovascular medication adherence.
- Bosworth HB, Blalock DV, Hoyle RH, Czajkowski SM, Voils CI
- Am Psychol 2018 Nov; 73(8): 968-980
- [PubMed ID: 30394776]