Corrine Voils, PhD
- Scientific Director, WiSOR
- Divisions of General Surgery
K6/100 Clinical Science Center
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792
- PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2001
- MS, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 1998
- BA, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, 1995
Dr. Voils, social psychologist, uses qualitative and quantitative methodologies to study and improve treatment adherence. One area of Dr. Voils’ research interest is in developing and evaluating behavioral interventions for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. She led a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to evaluate a telephone-delivered, spouse-assisted intervention to improve patient cholesterol levels (CouPLES). She recently completed an RCT to evaluate a weight loss maintenance intervention following behavioral weight loss (MAINTAIN). She has a new pilot from the VA to evaluate the feasibility of adapting the intervention to promote weight loss maintenance among patients following bariatric surgery. With R34 funding from the NHLBI, she is evaluating the feasibility of providing financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and weight loss.
A second area of interest is genomics health services research. Dr. Voils led an RCT to evaluate the clinical utility of genetic testing for type 2 diabetes. She is currently PI of an RCT to evaluate effectiveness and implementation of an information technology innovation that collects patient-entered family history and provides decision support to patients and providers.
Dr. Voils also has a strong interest in research methodology. She has developed and validated a self-report measure of medication nonadherence and developed methods for synthesizing qualitative and quantitative research findings.
- Perceived barriers and facilitators of initiation of behavioral weight loss interventions among adults with obesity: a qualitative study.
- McVay MA, Yancy WS, Bennett GG, Jung SH, Voils CI
- BMC Public Health 2018 Jul 11; 18(1): 854
- [PubMed ID: 29996812]
- Treatment decision making involving patients with dementia in acute care: A scoping review.
- Pecanac KE, Wyman M, Kind AJH, Voils CI
- Patient Educ Couns 2018 Jun 28;
- [PubMed ID: 29980337]
- Implementation, adoption, and utility of family health history risk assessment in diverse care settings: evaluating implementation processes and impact with an implementation framework.
- Wu RR, Myers RA, Sperber N, Voils CI, Neuner J, McCarty CA, Haller IV, Harry M, Fulda KG, Cross D, Dimmock D, Rakhra-Burris T, Buchanan AH, Ginsburg GS, Orlando LA
- Genet. Med. 2018 Jun 06;
- [PubMed ID: 29875427]
- Understanding women veterans' preferences for peer support interventions to promote heart healthy behaviors: A qualitative study.
- Goldstein KM, Zullig LL, Oddone EZ, Andrews SM, Grewe ME, Danus S, Heisler M, Bastian LA, Voils CI
- Prev Med Rep 2018 Jun; 10: 353-358
- [PubMed ID: 29868391]
- Chronic disease management perspectives of colorectal cancer survivors using the Veterans Affairs healthcare system: a qualitative analysis.
- Zullig LL, Goldstein KM, Bosworth HB, Andrews SM, Danus S, Jackson GL, Provenzale D, Weinberger M, Kelley MJ, Voils CI
- BMC Health Serv Res 2018 03 09; 18(1): 171
- [PubMed ID: 29523146]