Corrine Voils, PhD
- Scientific Director, WiSOR
- Divisions of General Surgery
K6/100 Clinical Science Center
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792
- PhD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2001
- MS, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 1998
- BA, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX, 1995
Dr. Voils, social psychologist, uses qualitative and quantitative methodologies to study and improve treatment adherence. One area of Dr. Voils’ research interest is in developing and evaluating behavioral interventions for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. She led a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to evaluate a telephone-delivered, spouse-assisted intervention to improve patient cholesterol levels (CouPLES). She recently completed an RCT to evaluate a weight loss maintenance intervention following behavioral weight loss (MAINTAIN). She has a new pilot from the VA to evaluate the feasibility of adapting the intervention to promote weight loss maintenance among patients following bariatric surgery. With R34 funding from the NHLBI, she is evaluating the feasibility of providing financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and weight loss.
A second area of interest is genomics health services research. Dr. Voils led an RCT to evaluate the clinical utility of genetic testing for type 2 diabetes. She is currently PI of an RCT to evaluate effectiveness and implementation of an information technology innovation that collects patient-entered family history and provides decision support to patients and providers.
Dr. Voils also has a strong interest in research methodology. She has developed and validated a self-report measure of medication nonadherence and developed methods for synthesizing qualitative and quantitative research findings.
- Identifying targets for cardiovascular medication adherence interventions through latent class analysis.
- Cornelius T, Voils CI, Birk JL, Romero EK, Edmondson DE, Kronish IM
- Health Psychol 2018 Sep 10;
- [PubMed ID: 30198738]
- The role of group cohesion in a group-based behavioral weight loss intervention.
- Taylor SS, Olsen MK, McVay MA, Grubber J, Gierisch JM, Yancy WS, Voils CI
- J Behav Med 2018 Aug 03;
- [PubMed ID: 30076501]
- The Gulf War Era Cohort and Biorepository: A Longitudinal Research Resource of Veterans of the 1990-1991 Gulf War Era.
- Khalil L, McNeil RB, Sims KJ, Felder KA, Hauser ER, Goldstein KM, Voils CI, Klimas NG, Brophy MT, Thomas CM, Whitley RL, Dursa EK, Helmer DA, Provenzale DT
- Am. J. Epidemiol. 2018 Jul 30;
- [PubMed ID: 30060060]
- Co-occurring reasons for medication nonadherence within subgroups of patients with hyperlipidemia.
- Blalock DV, Bosworth HB, Reeve BB, Voils CI
- J Behav Med 2018 Jul 19;
- [PubMed ID: 30027389]
- Perceived barriers and facilitators of initiation of behavioral weight loss interventions among adults with obesity: a qualitative study.
- McVay MA, Yancy WS, Bennett GG, Jung SH, Voils CI
- BMC Public Health 2018 Jul 11; 18(1): 854
- [PubMed ID: 29996812]