Eugene F Foley, MD, FACS
- Vice Chair of Education
- Chief, Division of Colorectal Surgery
- Vice Chairman of Clinical Operations, Divisions of General Surgery
- Endowed Chair, Susan Behrens MD Surgery Education Chair
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1985
- Residency, General Surgery, New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, MA, 1985-1991
- Fellowship, Surgical Endoscopy, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1989
- Fellowship, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Burlington, MA, 1992-1993
Dr. Foley is certified by both the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. He specializes in the treatment of diseases of the colon and rectum, including colon and rectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and diverticulitis. His practice includes diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy as well as the use of laparoscopy in the surgical treatment of colonic disease.
Dr. Foley provides a wide range of services including Abdominoperineal Resection, Abscess Drainage, Appendectomy, Excision / Fulguration of Condyloma, Fistulotomy, Hemorrhoid Banding, Hemorrhoidectomy, Ileal Pouch Reconstruction, Laparoscopic and Open Partial Colectomy, Laparoscopic and Open Rectopexy, Laparoscopic and Open Sigmoid Resection, Laparoscopic and Open Total Colectomy, Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy, Lower Anterior Resection (LAR), Pilonidal Cyst Excision, Sphincter Repair (overlapping sphincteroplasty), Total Proctocolectomy, Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair, Small Bowel Resection, Colonoscopic Excision, Endorectal Advancement Flap, Flap Repair, Ileocolic Resection, PPH Stapling, Transanal Proctosigmoidectomy.
Dr. Foley’s research interests focus on clinical trials designed to improve the surgical care of colorectal disease through process improvement or the application of novel therapeutic techniques.
- The effect of gender on operative autonomy in general surgery residents.
- Meyerson SL, Odell DD, Zwischenberger JB, Schuller M, Williams RG, Bohnen JD, Dunnington GL, Torbeck L, Mullen JT, Mandell SP, Choti MA, Foley E, Are C, Auyang E, Chipman J, Choi J, Meier AH, Smink DS, Terhune KP, Wise PE, Soper N, Lillemoe K, Fryer JP, George BC, Procedural Learning and Safety Collaborative
- Surgery 2019 Jul 17;
- [PubMed ID: 31326184]
- CT detection of primary and metastatic ileal carcinoid tumor: rates of missed findings and associated delay in clinical diagnosis.
- Gupta A, Lubner MG, Wertz RM, Foley E, Loeffler A, Pickhardt PJ
- Abdom Radiol (NY) 2019 Aug; 44(8): 2721-2728
- [PubMed ID: 31016344]
- An Interdisciplinary Approach to Surgical Skills Training Decreases Programmatic Costs.
- D'Angelo J, Snyder M, Bleedorn J, Hardie R, Foley E, Greenberg JA
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Mar; 235: 600-606
- [PubMed ID: 30691848]
- Examining the Impact of Using the SIMPL Application on Feedback in Surgical Education.
- Gunderson K, Sullivan S, Warner-Hillard C, Thompson R, Greenberg JA, Foley EF, Jung HS
- J Surg Educ 2018 Nov; 75(6): e246-e254
- [PubMed ID: 30213738]
- Egg consumption may improve factors associated with glycemic control and insulin sensitivity in adults with pre- and type II diabetes.
- Pourafshar S, Akhavan NS, George KS, Foley EM, Johnson SA, Keshavarz B, Navaei N, Davoudi A, Clark EA, Arjmandi BH
- Food Funct 2018 Aug 15; 9(8): 4469-4479
- [PubMed ID: 30073224]