Eugene F Foley, MD, FACS
- Vice Chair of Education
- Professor and Chief, Division of Colorectal Surgery
- Vice Chairman of Clinical Operations, Divisions of General Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1985
- Residency, General Surgery, New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, MA, 1985-1991
- Fellowship, Surgical Endoscopy, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1989
- Fellowship, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Burlington, MA, 1992-1993
Dr. Foley is certified by both the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. He specializes in the treatment of diseases of the colon and rectum, including colon and rectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and diverticulitis. His practice includes diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy as well as the use of laparoscopy in the surgical treatment of colonic disease.
Dr. Foley provides a wide range of services including Abdominoperineal Resection, Abscess Drainage, Appendectomy, Excision / Fulguration of Condyloma, Fistulotomy, Hemorrhoid Banding, Hemorrhoidectomy, Ileal Pouch Reconstruction, Laparoscopic and Open Partial Colectomy, Laparoscopic and Open Rectopexy, Laparoscopic and Open Sigmoid Resection, Laparoscopic and Open Total Colectomy, Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy, Lower Anterior Resection (LAR), Pilonidal Cyst Excision, Sphincter Repair (overlapping sphincteroplasty), Total Proctocolectomy, Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair, Small Bowel Resection, Colonoscopic Excision, Endorectal Advancement Flap, Flap Repair, Ileocolic Resection, PPH Stapling, Transanal Proctosigmoidectomy.
Dr. Foley’s research interests focus on clinical trials designed to improve the surgical care of colorectal disease through process improvement or the application of novel therapeutic techniques.
- What factors influence attending surgeon decisions about resident autonomy in the operating room?
- Williams RG, George BC, Meyerson SL, Bohnen JD, Dunnington GL, Schuller MC, Torbeck L, Mullen JT, Auyang E, Chipman JG, Choi J, Choti M, Endean E, Foley EF, Mandell S, Meier A, Smink DS, Terhune KP, Wise P, DaRosa D, Soper N, Zwischenberger JB, Lillemoe KD, Fryer JP, Procedural Learning and Safety Collaborative
- Surgery 2017 Dec; 162(6): 1314-1319
- [PubMed ID: 28950992]
- Readiness of US General Surgery Residents for Independent Practice.
- George BC, Bohnen JD, Williams RG, Meyerson SL, Schuller MC, Clark MJ, Meier AH, Torbeck L, Mandell SP, Mullen JT, Smink DS, Scully RE, Chipman JG, Auyang ED, Terhune KP, Wise PE, Choi JN, Foley EF, Dimick JB, Choti MA, Soper NJ, Lillemoe KD, Zwischenberger JB, Dunnington GL, DaRosa DA, Fryer JP, Procedural Learning and Safety Collaborative (PLSC)
- Ann. Surg. 2017 Oct; 266(4): 582-594
- [PubMed ID: 28742711]
- Integrating Postoperative Feedback Into Workflow: Perceived Practices and Barriers.
- Nathwani JN, Glarner CE, Law KE, McDonald RJ, Zelenski AB, Greenberg JA, Foley EF
- J Surg Educ 2017 May - Jun; 74(3): 406-414
- [PubMed ID: 27894938]
- The Feasibility of Real-Time Intraoperative Performance Assessment With SIMPL (System for Improving and Measuring Procedural Learning): Early Experience From a Multi-institutional Trial.
- Bohnen JD, George BC, Williams RG, Schuller MC, DaRosa DA, Torbeck L, Mullen JT, Meyerson SL, Auyang ED, Chipman JG, Choi JN, Choti MA, Endean ED, Foley EF, Mandell SP, Meier AH, Smink DS, Terhune KP, Wise PE, Soper NJ, Zwischenberger JB, Lillemoe KD, Dunnington GL, Fryer JP, Procedural Learning and Safety Collaborative (PLSC)
- J Surg Educ 2016 Nov - Dec; 73(6): e118-e130
- [PubMed ID: 27886971]
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a mock oral educational program.
- Fischer LE, Snyder M, Sullivan SA, Foley EF, Greenberg JA
- J. Surg. Res. 2016 Oct; 205(2): 305-311
- [PubMed ID: 27664877]