Jonathan E. Kohler, MD, FACS
- Trauma Medical Director – American Family Children’s Hospital
- Division of Pediatric Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-0001
Scheduling or patient-related questions: (608) 263-6420
Administrative assistance: (608) 262-0466
- MD, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2005
- MA in Health Communications, Emerson College in collaboration with Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 2009
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship in General Surgery, Brigham & Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2010
- General Surgery Residency, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2013
- Fellowship in Pediatric Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2015
Dr. Kohler is certified by the American Board of Surgery in both General Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. His clinical practice emphasizes minimally invasive approaches to all types of pediatric and neonatal surgical disorders. He specializes in general and thoracic pediatric surgery, minimally invasive and neonatal surgery, oncology and trauma care.
For a complete listing of conditions for which our pediatric surgeons provide treatment, please click here.
Dr. Kohler’s research interests center on using health communications-based research to develop interventions that improve physician-to-physician and physician-to-patient interactions.
- Physician Perceptions of the Electronic Problem List in Pediatric Trauma Care.
- Hose BZ, Hoonakker PLT, Wooldridge AR, Brazelton Iii TB, Dean SM, Eithun B, Fackler JC, Gurses AP, Kelly MM, Kohler JE, McGeorge NM, Ross JC, Rusy DA, Carayon P
- Appl Clin Inform 2019 Jan; 10(1): 113-122
- [PubMed ID: 30759492]
- National variation in opioid prescribing after pediatric umbilical hernia repair.
- Cartmill RS, Yang DY, Fernandes-Taylor S, Kohler JE
- Surgery 2019 Apr; 165(4): 838-842
- [PubMed ID: 30509750]
- Practice Variation in Umbilical Hernia Repair Demonstrates a Need for Best Practice Guidelines.
- Zens TJ, Cartmill R, Muldowney BL, Fernandes-Taylor S, Nichol P, Kohler JE
- J. Pediatr. 2019 Mar; 206: 172-177
- [PubMed ID: 30448274]
- Age-dependent outcomes in asymptomatic umbilical hernia repair.
- Zens TJ, Rogers A, Cartmill R, Ostlie D, Muldowney BL, Nichol P, Kohler JE
- Pediatr. Surg. Int. 2019 Apr; 35(4): 463-468
- [PubMed ID: 30430281]
- Evaluation of a water-soluble contrast protocol for nonoperative management of pediatric adhesive small bowel obstruction.
- Linden AF, Raiji MT, Kohler JE, Carlisle EM, Pelayo JC, Feinstein K, Kandel JJ, Mak GZ
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2019 Jan; 54(1): 184-188
- [PubMed ID: 30414689]