Jonathan E. Kohler, MD, FACS
- Trauma Medical Director – American Family Children’s Hospital
- Division of Pediatric Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-0001
Scheduling or patient-related questions: (608) 263-6420
Administrative assistance: (608) 262-0466
- MD, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2005
- MA in Health Communications, Emerson College in collaboration with Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 2009
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship in General Surgery, Brigham & Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2010
- General Surgery Residency, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2013
- Fellowship in Pediatric Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2015
Dr. Kohler is certified by the American Board of Surgery in both General Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. His clinical practice emphasizes minimally invasive approaches to all types of pediatric and neonatal surgical disorders. He specializes in general and thoracic pediatric surgery, minimally invasive and neonatal surgery, oncology and trauma care.
For a complete listing of conditions for which our pediatric surgeons provide treatment, please click here.
Dr. Kohler’s research interests center on using health communications-based research to develop interventions that improve physician-to-physician and physician-to-patient interactions.
- Changing the Paradigm for Management of Pediatric Primary Spontaneous Pneumothorax: A Simple Aspiration Test Predicts Need for Operation.
- Leys CM, Hirschl RB, Kohler JE, Cherney-Stafford L, Marka N, Fallat ME, Gadepalli SK, Fraser JD, Grabowski J, Burns RC, Downard CD, Foley DS, Halleran DR, Helmrath MA, Kabre R, Knezevich MS, Lal DR, Landman MP, Lawrence AE, Mak GZ, Minneci PC, Musili N, Rymeski B, Saito JM, Sato TT, St Peter SD, Warner BW, Ostlie DJ, Midwest Pediatric Surgery Consortium MWPSC
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2019 Oct 24;
- [PubMed ID: 31706614]
- Need for Consensus Guidelines in Pediatric Umbilical Hernia Repair.
- Kohler JE, Nichol PF, Cartmill RS
- JAMA Pediatr 2019 Sep 30;
- [PubMed ID: 31566667]
- Diagnostic performance of standardized ultrasound protocol for detecting perforation in pediatric appendicitis.
- Riedesel EL, Weber BC, Shore MW, Cartmill RS, Ostlie DJ, Leys CM, Gill KG, Kohler JE
- Pediatr Radiol 2019 Dec; 49(13): 1726-1734
- [PubMed ID: 31342129]
- Intestinal Perforation in Children as an Important Differential Diagnosis of Vascular Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.
- Park KY, Gill KG, Kohler JE
- Am J Case Rep 2019 Jul 20; 20: 1057-1062
- [PubMed ID: 31324749]
- Factors Associated With Management of Pediatric Ovarian Neoplasms.
- Lawrence AE, Gonzalez DO, Fallat ME, Aldrink JH, Hewitt GD, Hertweck SP, Onwuka A, Bence C, Burns RC, Dillon PA, Ehrlich PF, Fraser JD, Grabowski JE, Hirschl RB, Kabre R, Kohler JE, Lal DR, Landman MP, Leys CM, Mak GZ, Sato TT, Scannell M, Sujka JA, Minneci PC, Deans KJ
- Pediatrics 2019 07; 144(1)
- [PubMed ID: 31164439]