Susan Thibeault, PhD, CCC-SLP
- Diane M. Bless Endowed Chair in Otolaryngology
- Associate Vice Chair of Research, Department of Surgery
- Director, UW Health Voice and Swallow Clinics
- Division of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research (WIMR) BLDG. 1485
1111 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705-2275
- BS, University of Western Ontario, Biology, London, Ontario, Canada, 1989
- MS Communication Disorders, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, 1992
- PhD Communication Disorders, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 2001
Dr. Thibeault is the Director of the Voice and Swallow Section of the Otolaryngology Clinics, which specializes in evaluation and treatment of patients with voice, resonance, swallowing and airway disorders.
Dr. Thibeault’s translational research investigates molecular and genetic factors that are the basis of normal vocal fold tissue and its vibration. Dr. Thibeault studies vocal fold injury and wound healing as a disordered model. Specifically, Dr. Thibeault’s lab has two main areas of study — tissue engineering of the vocal fold lamina propria and laryngeal immunology. The lab has developed unique primary and immortalized human cell lines, in addition to vibrational bioreactors to aid in the research pursuit.
- Mechanotransduction of vocal fold fibroblasts and mesenchymal stromal cells in the context of the vocal fold mechanome.
- Bartlett RS, Gaston JD, Ye S, Kendziorski C, Thibeault SL
- J Biomech 2019 Jan 23; 83: 227-234
- [PubMed ID: 30553439]
- Magnetic resonance imaging quantification of dehydration and rehydration in vocal fold tissue layers.
- King RE, Steed K, Rivera AE, Wisco JJ, Thibeault SL
- PLoS ONE 2018; 13(12): e0208763
- [PubMed ID: 30521642]
- Safety and Tolerability of Pharyngeal High-Resolution Manometry.
- Knigge MA, Marvin S, Thibeault SL
- Am J Speech Lang Pathol 2018 Dec 04; 1-10
- [PubMed ID: 30515521]
- Electrospun nanofibrous thermoplastic polyurethane/poly(glycerol sebacate) hybrid scaffolds for vocal fold tissue engineering applications.
- Jiang L, Jiang Y, Stiadle J, Wang X, Wang L, Li Q, Shen C, Thibeault SL, Turng LS
- Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2019 Jan 01; 94: 740-749
- [PubMed ID: 30423760]
- In vitro evaluation of anti-fibrotic effects of select cytokines for vocal fold scar treatment.
- Chen H, Erndt-Marino J, Diaz-Rodriguez P, Kulwatno J, Jimenez-Vergara AC, Thibeault SL, Hahn MS
- J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part B Appl. Biomater. 2018 Sep 05;
- [PubMed ID: 30184328]