Charles P Heise, MD, FACS
- Division of Colorectal Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN, 1994
- Residency, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1994-2000
- Research Fellowship in Tumor Immunotherapy, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 1997-1998
- Specialist Registrar, Surgery, Cheltenham General Hospital, Cheltenham, England, 2000-2001
- Fellowship, Colon and Rectal Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2001-2002
Dr. Heise is certified by the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery and by the American Board of Surgery. His specialties include the surgical treatment of colorectal cancer and inflammatory bowel disease. He performs laparoscopic bowel surgery for benign and malignant diseases. In addition, he performs ultrasound staging of rectal cancer and provides testing and surgical treatment for many pelvic floor disorders, including incontinence.
Dr. Heise provides a wide range of services including Abdominoperineal Resection, Abscess Drainage, Anorectal Manometry, Anorectal Ultrasound, Appendectomy, Colonoscopic Excision, Endorectal Advancement Flap, Fistulotomy, Flap Repair, Hemorrhoid Banding, Hemorrhoidectomy, Ileal Pouch Reconstruction, Ileocolic Resection, Laparoscopic and Open Partial Colectomy, Laparoscopic and Open Rectopexy, Laparoscopic and Open Sigmoid Resection, Laparoscopic and Open Total Colectomy, Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy, Lower Anterior Resection (LAR), Open Groin Hernia Repair, Pilonidal Cyst Excision, Pudendal Nerve Testing, Small Bowel Resection, Sphincter Repair (overlapping sphincteroplasty), Total Proctocolectomy, Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM), Transanal Proctosigmoidectomy, Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Heise’s current clinical research interests include treatment of diverticulitis, patient outcome and function after surgical treatment of colorectal cancer, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Large-Field-of-View Visualization Utilizing Multiple Miniaturized Cameras for Laparoscopic Surgery.
- Kim JJ, Watras A, Liu H, Zeng Z, Greenberg JA, Heise CP, Hu YH, Jiang H
- Micromachines (Basel) 2018 Aug 25; 9(9)
- [PubMed ID: 30424364]
- A tertiary care hospital's 10 years' experience with rectal ultrasound in early rectal cancer.
- Akhter A, Walker A, Heise CP, Kennedy GD, Benson ME, Pfau PR, Johnson EA, Frick TJ, Gopal DV
- Endosc Ultrasound 2018 May-Jun; 7(3): 191-195
- [PubMed ID: 28836512]
- Associations of Specific Postoperative Complications With Outcomes After Elective Colon Resection: A Procedure-Targeted Approach Toward Surgical Quality Improvement.
- Scarborough JE, Schumacher J, Kent KC, Heise CP, Greenberg CC
- JAMA Surg 2017 02 15; 152(2): e164681
- [PubMed ID: 27926773]
- Short-term outcomes of minimally invasive versus open colectomy for colon cancer.
- Papageorge CM, Zhao Q, Foley EF, Harms BA, Heise CP, Carchman EH, Kennedy GD
- J. Surg. Res. 2016 07; 204(1): 83-93
- [PubMed ID: 27451872]
- Does Anastomotic Leak Contribute to High Failure-to-rescue Rates?
- Tevis SE, Carchman EH, Foley EF, Heise CP, Harms BA, Kennedy GD
- Ann. Surg. 2016 06; 263(6): 1148-51
- [PubMed ID: 26587851]