Charles M. Leys, MD, FACS
- Chief, Division of Pediatric Surgery
- Endowed Professor, Pediatric Surgery Professorship
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-0001
Scheduling or patient-related questions: (608) 263-6420
Administrative assistance: (608) 262-0466
- MD, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, 2000
- Masters of Science in Clinical Investigation (MSCI), Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, 2005
- General Surgery Residency, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, 2007
- Fellowship in Pediatric Surgery, Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, MO, 2009
Dr. Leys is certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. He is Director of Pediatric Minimally Invasive Surgery at American Family Children’s Hospital, and his clinical practice emphasizes minimally invasive approaches to all types of pediatric and neonatal surgical disorders. He specializes in congenital malformations, chest wall deformities, thoracic diseases, surgical oncology, and gastrointestinal disorders, including gastroesophageal reflux and inflammatory bowel disease.
For a complete listing of conditions for which our pediatric surgeons provide treatment, please click here
Dr. Leys provides a wide range of services including Congenital Malformations, Chest Wall Deformities, Thoracic Diseases, Surgical Oncology, Gastroesophageal Reflux, Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
Dr. Leys’ research interests are focused on evidence-based pediatric surgery, including clinical trials and quality improvement.
- Diagnostic performance of standardized ultrasound protocol for detecting perforation in pediatric appendicitis.
- Riedesel EL, Weber BC, Shore MW, Cartmill RS, Ostlie DJ, Leys CM, Gill KG, Kohler JE
- Pediatr Radiol 2019 Jul 24;
- [PubMed ID: 31342129]
- Multi-institutional trial of non-operative management and surgery for uncomplicated appendicitis in children: Design and rationale.
- Minneci PC, Hade EM, Lawrence AE, Saito JM, Mak GZ, Hirschl RB, Gadepalli S, Helmrath MA, Leys CM, Sato TT, Lal DR, Landman MP, Kabre R, Fallat ME, Fischer BA, Cooper JN, Deans KJ, Midwest Pediatric Surgery Consortium
- Contemp Clin Trials 2019 Aug; 83: 10-17
- [PubMed ID: 31254670]
- Factors Associated With Management of Pediatric Ovarian Neoplasms.
- Lawrence AE, Gonzalez DO, Fallat ME, Aldrink JH, Hewitt GD, Hertweck SP, Onwuka A, Bence C, Burns RC, Dillon PA, Ehrlich PF, Fraser JD, Grabowski JE, Hirschl RB, Kabre R, Kohler JE, Lal DR, Landman MP, Leys CM, Mak GZ, Sato TT, Scannell M, Sujka JA, Minneci PC, Deans KJ
- Pediatrics 2019 Jul; 144(1)
- [PubMed ID: 31164439]
- Can fecal continence be predicted in patients born with anorectal malformations?
- Minneci PC, Kabre RS, Mak GZ, Halleran DR, Cooper JN, Afrazi A, Calkins CM, Corkum K, Downard CD, Ehrlich P, Fraser JD, Gadepalli SK, Helmrath MA, Kohler JE, Landisch R, Landman MP, Lee C, Leys CM, Lodwick DL, McLeod J, Mon R, McClure B, Rymeski B, Saito JM, Sato TT, St Peter SD, Wood R, Levitt MA, Deans KJ, Midwest Pediatric Surgery Consortium
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2019 Jun; 54(6): 1159-1163
- [PubMed ID: 30898398]
- Current operative management of congenital lobar emphysema in children: A report from the Midwest Pediatric Surgery Consortium.
- Kunisaki SM, Saito JM, Fallat ME, St Peter SD, Kim AG, Johnson KN, Mon RA, Adams C, Aladegbami B, Bence C, Burns RC, Corkum KS, Deans KJ, Downard CD, Fraser JD, Gadepalli SK, Helmrath MA, Kabre R, Lal DR, Landman MP, Leys CM, Linden AF, Lopez JJ, Mak GZ, Minneci PC, Rademacher BL, Shaaban A, Walker SK, Wright TN, Hirschl RB, Midwest Pediatric Surgery Consortium
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2019 Jun; 54(6): 1138-1142
- [PubMed ID: 30898401]