Daniel E. Abbott, MD, FACS
- Surgical Director, UW Health Liver and Pancreas Center
- Division of Surgical Oncology
600 Highland Avenue
Box 7375, Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, 2003
- General Surgery Residency, Northwestern University/Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, 2010
- Research Fellowship, Children's Memorial Research Center/Northwestern University, Division of Cancer Biology and Epigenomics, Chicago, Illinois, 2008
- Surgical Oncology Fellowship, Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2012
Dr. Abbott is certified by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Trained specifically in cancer surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, his clinical focus is on gastrointestinal malignancies, as well as melanoma and sarcoma. He performs both traditional and laparoscopic resections for cancers of the liver, pancreas, and stomach. As Director of Cytoreductive and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) Surgery, he is particularly interested in patients with peritoneal spread of appendiceal, colorectal and ovarian cancers. Dr. Abbott is active in a number of national organizations, including the Society of Surgical Oncology, the American Hepatopancreaticobiliary Association, the Association for Academic Surgery, and the Society of University Surgeons.
Dr. Abbott provides a wide range of services including Bile Duct Resection, Caudate Resection, Cryoablation, Cyst Fenestration (Unroof Liver Cyst), Cytoreductive Surgery with HIPEC, Frey Procedure, Gastrectomy – Partial or Total, Hemihepatectomy (Hepatectomy), Laparoscopic Liver Resection, Laparoscopic Pancreatectomy, Liver Resection, Liver Tumor Ablations, Melanoma Completion Lymph Node Dissection (Axillary and Groin), Melanoma Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Melanoma Wide Local Excision and Skin Closure, Obstructed Pancreatic Duct Drainage (Peustow Procedure), Pancreatic Head Resection, Pancreaticoduodenectomy, Pancreatic Pseudocysts Drainage, Pancreatic Resections, Radical Cholecystectomy, Radiofrequency Ablation, Right / Left Extended Hemihepatectomy (Hepatectomy), Wedge Resection of the Liver, Whipple Procedure.
Dr. Abbott, a health services researcher, focuses on cost-effectiveness, systems efficiency, and socioeconomic disparity in cancer care. He is particularly interested in identifying opportunities to maintain or enhance cancer care using technology in a patient-centered manner and thereby helping patients access expert cancer care in more personalized settings.
- Is hepatectomy safe following Yttrium-90 therapy? A multi-institutional international experience.
- Melstrom LG, Eng OS, Raoof M, Singh G, Fong Y, Latorre K, Choi GH, Salem R, Bentrem DJ, Lewandowski R, Makris E, Poultsides G, Dhar VK, Chadalavada S, Shah SA, Johnson AC, Sekhar A, Kies D, Maithel SK, Rocha F, Alseidi A, Hagendoorn J, Borel Rinkes IHM, Fisher AV, Ronnekleiv-Kelly S, Weber SM, Winslow ER, Abbott DE
- HPB (Oxford) 2019 Apr 17;
- [PubMed ID: 31005493]
- Guidelines Insights: Hepatobiliary Cancers, Version 2.2019.
- Benson AB, D'Angelica MI, Abbott DE, Abrams TA, Alberts SR, Anaya DA, Anders R, Are C, Brown D, Chang DT, Cloyd J, Covey AM, Hawkins W, Iyer R, Jacob R, Karachristos A, Kelley RK, Kim R, Palta M, Park JO, Sahai V, Schefter T, Sicklick JK, Singh G, Sohal D, Stein S, Tian GG, Vauthey JN, Venook AP, Hammond LJ, Darlow SD
- J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2019 Apr 01; 17(4): 302-310
- [PubMed ID: 30959462]
- Natural History and Treatment Trends in Pancreatic Cancer Subtypes.
- Pokrzywa CJ, Abbott DE, Matkowskyj KA, Ronnekleiv-Kelly SM, Winslow ER, Weber SM, Fisher AV
- J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2019 Apr; 23(4): 768-778
- [PubMed ID: 30706376]
- Predictive Value of Chromogranin A and a Pre-Operative Risk Score to Predict Recurrence After Resection of Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors.
- Fisher AV, Lopez-Aguiar AG, Rendell VR, Pokrzywa C, Rocha FG, Kanji ZS, Poultsides GA, Makris EA, Dillhoff ME, Beal EW, Fields RC, Panni RZ, Idrees K, Smith PM, Cho CS, Beems MV, Maithel SK, Winslow ER, Abbott DE, Weber SM
- J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2019 Apr; 23(4): 651-658
- [PubMed ID: 30659439]
- Deficiencies in postoperative surveillance for veterans with gastrointestinal cancer.
- Taylor LJ, Xu K, Maloney JD, Voils CI, Weber SM, Funk LM, Abbott DE
- J Surg Oncol 2019 Mar; 119(3): 273-277
- [PubMed ID: 30554412]