Daniel E. Abbott, MD, FACS
- Surgical Director, UW Health Liver and Pancreas Center
- Division of Surgical Oncology
600 Highland Avenue
Box 7375, Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, 2003
- General Surgery Residency, Northwestern University/Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, 2010
- Research Fellowship, Children's Memorial Research Center/Northwestern University, Division of Cancer Biology and Epigenomics, Chicago, Illinois, 2008
- Surgical Oncology Fellowship, Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2012
Dr. Abbott is certified by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Trained specifically in cancer surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, his clinical focus is on gastrointestinal malignancies, as well as melanoma and sarcoma. He performs both traditional and laparoscopic resections for cancers of the liver, pancreas, and stomach. As Director of Cytoreductive and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) Surgery, he is particularly interested in patients with peritoneal spread of appendiceal, colorectal and ovarian cancers. Dr. Abbott is active in a number of national organizations, including the Society of Surgical Oncology, the American Hepatopancreaticobiliary Association, the Association for Academic Surgery, and the Society of University Surgeons.
Dr. Abbott provides a wide range of services including Bile Duct Resection, Caudate Resection, Cryoablation, Cyst Fenestration (Unroof Liver Cyst), Cytoreductive Surgery with HIPEC, Frey Procedure, Gastrectomy – Partial or Total, Hemihepatectomy (Hepatectomy), Laparoscopic Liver Resection, Laparoscopic Pancreatectomy, Liver Resection, Liver Tumor Ablations, Melanoma Completion Lymph Node Dissection (Axillary and Groin), Melanoma Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Melanoma Wide Local Excision and Skin Closure, Obstructed Pancreatic Duct Drainage (Peustow Procedure), Pancreatic Head Resection, Pancreaticoduodenectomy, Pancreatic Pseudocysts Drainage, Pancreatic Resections, Radical Cholecystectomy, Radiofrequency Ablation, Right / Left Extended Hemihepatectomy (Hepatectomy), Wedge Resection of the Liver, Whipple Procedure.
Dr. Abbott, a health services researcher, focuses on cost-effectiveness, systems efficiency, and socioeconomic disparity in cancer care. He is particularly interested in identifying opportunities to maintain or enhance cancer care using technology in a patient-centered manner and thereby helping patients access expert cancer care in more personalized settings.
- Natural history and cost analysis of surgical bypass versus endoscopic stenting for the palliative management of malignant gastric outlet obstruction.
- Fisher AV, Hanlon B, Fernandes-Taylor S, Schumacher JR, Lawson EH, Ronnekleiv-Kelly SM, Minter RM, Weber SM, Abbott DE
- HPB (Oxford) 2019 Sep 10;
- [PubMed ID: 31519358]
- Adjuvant Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for patients at High-Risk of Peritoneal Metastases.
- Morris MC, Dhar VK, Stevenson MA, Winer LK, Lee TC, Wang J, Ahmad SA, Patel SH, Sussman JJ, Abbott DE
- Surg Oncol 2019 Sep 05; 31: 33-37
- [PubMed ID: 31518971]
- National Trends in Centralization of Surgical Care and Multimodality Therapy for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma.
- Fisher AV, Ma Y, Wang X, Campbell-Flohr SA, Rathouz PJ, Ronnekleiv-Kelly SM, Abbott DE, Weber SM
- J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2019 Aug 16;
- [PubMed ID: 31420860]
- Survival Outcomes Associated With Clinical and Pathological Response Following Neoadjuvant FOLFIRINOX or Gemcitabine/Nab-Paclitaxel Chemotherapy in Resected Pancreatic Cancer.
- Macedo FI, Ryon E, Maithel SK, Lee RM, Kooby DA, Fields RC, Hawkins WG, Williams G, Maduekwe U, Kim HJ, Ahmad SA, Patel SH, Abbott DE, Schwartz P, Weber SM, Scoggins CR, Martin RCG, Dudeja V, Franceschi D, Livingstone AS, Merchant NB
- Ann. Surg. 2019 Sep; 270(3): 400-413
- [PubMed ID: 31283563]
- Optimal Surveillance Frequency After CRS/HIPEC for Appendiceal and Colorectal Neoplasms: A Multi-institutional Analysis of the US HIPEC Collaborative.
- Gamboa AC, Zaidi MY, Lee RM, Speegle S, Switchenko JM, Lipscomb J, Cloyd JM, Ahmed A, Grotz T, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers BD, Lowy AM, Kotha NV, Clarke C, Gamblin TC, Patel SH, Lee TC, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Vande Walle K, Lafaro K, Lee B, Johnston FM, Greer J, Russell MC, Staley CA, Maithel SK
- Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2019 Jun 26;
- [PubMed ID: 31243668]