Daniel E. Abbott, MD, FACS
- Division of Surgical Oncology
- Divisions of General Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Box 7375, Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, 2003
- General Surgery Residency, Northwestern University/Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, 2010
- Research Fellowship, Children's Memorial Research Center/Northwestern University, Division of Cancer Biology and Epigenomics, Chicago, Illinois, 2008
- Surgical Oncology Fellowship, Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2012
Dr. Abbott is certified by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Trained specifically in cancer surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, his clinical focus is on gastrointestinal malignancies, as well as melanoma and sarcoma. He performs both traditional and laparoscopic resections for cancers of the liver, pancreas, and stomach. As Director of Cytoreductive and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) Surgery, he is particularly interested in patients with peritoneal spread of appendiceal, colorectal and ovarian cancers. Dr. Abbott is active in a number of national organizations, including the Society of Surgical Oncology, the American Hepatopancreaticobiliary Association, the Association for Academic Surgery, and the Society of University Surgeons.
Dr. Abbott provides a wide range of services including Bile Duct Resection, Caudate Resection, Cryoablation, Cyst Fenestration (Unroof Liver Cyst), Cytoreductive Surgery with HIPEC, Frey Procedure, Gastrectomy – Partial or Total, Hemihepatectomy (Hepatectomy), Laparoscopic Liver Resection, Laparoscopic Pancreatectomy, Liver Resection, Liver Tumor Ablations, Melanoma Completion Lymph Node Dissection (Axillary and Groin), Melanoma Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Melanoma Wide Local Excision and Skin Closure, Obstructed Pancreatic Duct Drainage (Peustow Procedure), Pancreatic Head Resection, Pancreaticoduodenectomy, Pancreatic Pseudocysts Drainage, Pancreatic Resections, Radical Cholecystectomy, Radiofrequency Ablation, Right / Left Extended Hemihepatectomy (Hepatectomy), Wedge Resection of the Liver, Whipple Procedure.
Dr. Abbott, a health services researcher, focuses on cost-effectiveness, systems efficiency, and socioeconomic disparity in cancer care. He is particularly interested in identifying opportunities to maintain or enhance cancer care using technology in a patient-centered manner and thereby helping patients access expert cancer care in more personalized settings.
- Tube Feed Necrosis after Major Gastrointestinal Oncologic Surgery: Institutional Lessons and a Review of the Literature.
- Sethuraman SA, Dhar VK, Habib DA, Sussman JE, Ahmad SA, Shah SA, Tsuei BJ, Sussman JJ, Abbott DE
- J. Gastrointest. Surg. 2017 Dec; 21(12): 2075-2082
- [PubMed ID: 28956273]
- Improvement and persistent disparities in completion lymph node dissection: Lessons from the National Cancer Database.
- Chu BS, Koffi W, Hoehn RS, Ertel A, Shah SA, Ahmad SA, Sussman JJ, Neuman HB, Abbott DE
- J Surg Oncol 2017 Dec; 116(8): 1176-1184
- [PubMed ID: 28743173]
- Time to Initiation of Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Pancreas Cancer: A Multi-Institutional Experience.
- Xia BT, Ahmad SA, Al Humaidi AH, Hanseman DJ, Ethun CG, Maithel SK, Kooby DA, Salem A, Cho CS, Weber SM, Stocker SJ, Talamonti MS, Bentrem DJ, Abbott DE
- Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2017 Sep; 24(9): 2770-2776
- [PubMed ID: 28600732]
- EUS core biopsy leading to duodenal brunneroma diagnosis.
- Nelsen EM, Abbott DE, Pfau PR, Benson ME
- Gastrointest. Endosc. 2017 Dec; 86(6): 1179-1180
- [PubMed ID: 28599917]
- NCCN Guidelines Insights: Hepatobiliary Cancers, Version 1.2017.
- Benson AB, D'Angelica MI, Abbott DE, Abrams TA, Alberts SR, Saenz DA, Are C, Brown DB, Chang DT, Covey AM, Hawkins W, Iyer R, Jacob R, Karachristos A, Kelley RK, Kim R, Palta M, Park JO, Sahai V, Schefter T, Schmidt C, Sicklick JK, Singh G, Sohal D, Stein S, Tian GG, Vauthey JN, Venook AP, Zhu AX, Hoffmann KG, Darlow S
- J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017 May; 15(5): 563-573
- [PubMed ID: 28476736]