Girma Tefera, MD, FACS
- Division of Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
BX3236 Clinical Science Center-H5
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, University of Pisa Faculty of Medicine, Pisa, Italy, 1982
- AO Clinic Fellowship in Trauma, Field Kirsh Hospital, Field Kirsh, Austria, 1991
- Postgraduate Training in General Surgery, Friedrich Stadt Hospital, Dresden, Germany, 1988-1992
- Residency in General Surgery, Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C., 1994-1999
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1999-2000
Dr. Tefera is certified by the American Board of Surgery. He specializes in all aspects of vascular surgery, with special interests in aortic aneurysm treatment with endovascular stent grafts and angioplasty of peripheral arteries including carotid artery, illiac and superficial femoral artery.
Current appointments: UWHC, Meriter, VA
Clinic appointments: West Clinic, 1 S Park Clinic, Portage
Dr. Tefera provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Compartment Syndrome Treatments, Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (EVAR) with a Fenestrated Endograft Stent, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Thoracic Aortic Aneursym – Endovascular, Thoracic Aortic Aneursym – Open, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Treatment, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Tefera has clinical research interests in abdominal aortic aneurysm treatment with endovascular stent graft, distal peripheral artery bypass surgery, and angioplasty and stent for limb salvage.
- Evaluating the Efficacy of Knowledge-Transfer Interventions on Animal Health Knowledge of Rural Working Equid Owners in Central Ethiopia: A Cluster-Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Stringer AP, Christley RM, Bell CE, Gebreab F, Tefera G, Reed K, Trawford A, Pinchbeck GL
- Front Vet Sci 2018; 5: 282
- [PubMed ID: 30515382]
- American College of Surgeons Member Involvement in Global Surgery: Results from the 2015 Operation Giving Back Survey.
- Boeck MA, Goodman LF, Lin Y, Wilczak B, Tefera G
- World J Surg 2018 07; 42(7): 2018-2027
- [PubMed ID: 29411067]
- Above and beyond: A primer for young surgeons interested in global surgery.
- Ferrada P, Sakran JV, Dubose J, Vergis A, Peck G, Alseidi A, Moalem J, Tefera G, Turner PL
- Bull Am Coll Surg 2017 02; 102(2): 33-8
- [PubMed ID: 28925237]
- Operation Giving Back and the ACS Archives offer opportunities for engagement.
- Tefera G, Wilczak B, Barber D
- Bull Am Coll Surg 2016 12; 101(12): 70-1
- [PubMed ID: 28937177]
- Progress in achieving universal access to surgical care: An update and a path forward.
- Raykar N, Mukhopadhyay S, Ng-Kamstra JS, Lin Y, Saluja S, Scott JW, Anderson G, Meara JG, Tefera G, Bickler SW
- Bull Am Coll Surg 2016 Jun; 101(6): 12-8
- [PubMed ID: 27405180]