Heather B Neuman, MD, MS, FACS
- Division of Surgical Oncology
600 Highland Avenue
Box 7375, Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, University of Pittsburg School of Medicine, Pittsburg, PA, 2000
- Surgical Oncology Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 2007-2009
- Residency in General Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2000-2005
- National Research Service Award Fellow, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, 2005-2007
- Research Fellow in Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 2005-2007
- MS, Weill Graduate School in Medical Sciences of Cornell University, New York, NY, 2007
Dr. Neuman specializes in surgical oncology with a focus on breast, melanoma and sarcoma. She is certified by the American Board of Surgery.
Dr. Neuman provides a wide range of services including Axillary Lymph Node Dissection, Core Needle Biopsy, Lumpectomy or Partial Mastectomy, Lymph Node Dissection, Melanoma Completion Lymph Node Dissection (Axillary and Groin), Melanoma Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Melanoma Wide Local Excision and Skin Closure, Modified Radical Mastectomy, Needle-localized Biopsy, Needle-localized Excision, Radical Resection Soft Tissue Tumor, Sarcoma Removal of Retroperitoneal/intraabdominal Soft Tissue Tumors (Sarcomas), Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Simple Mastectomy, Skin-sparing and/or Nipple-sparing Mastectomy, Wide Local Excision Skin With Reconstruction.
Dr. Neuman’s research focuses on patient-oriented clinical outcomes including patient decision-making, quality of life and survivorship. Her primary research uses mixed methods to improve the quality and efficiency of breast cancer follow-up provided to breast cancer survivors. Secondary research interests include the use of decision aids to improve patient decision-making surrounding breast cancer surgery. Additionally, she is the principle investigator for a number of surgical clinical trials focused on melanoma.
- A Randomized Controlled Trial Evaluating the Impact of Pre-Consultation Information on Patients' Perception of Information Conveyed and Satisfaction with the Decision-Making Process.
- Stankowski-Drengler TJ, Tucholka JL, Bruce JG, Steffens NM, Schumacher JR, Greenberg CC, Wilke LG, Hanlon B, Steiman J, Neuman HB
- Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2019 Jul 24;
- [PubMed ID: 31342375]
- Postoperative complications in combined gynecologic, plastic, and breast surgery: An analysis from National Surgical Quality Improvement Program.
- Tevis SE, Steiman JG, Neuman HB, Greenberg CC, Wilke LG
- Breast J 2019 Jul 06;
- [PubMed ID: 31280491]
- Does Tumor Size Predict Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in the Modern Era of Biologically Driven Treatment? A Nationwide Study of US Breast Cancer Patients.
- Livingston-Rosanoff D, Schumacher J, Vande Walle K, Stankowski-Drengler T, Greenberg CC, Neuman H, Wilke LG
- Clin. Breast Cancer 2019 Jun 06;
- [PubMed ID: 31300338]
- Lung Cancer Screening in the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program: Availability and Service Organization.
- Carlos RC, Sicks JD, Chiles C, Gansauer L, Kamen CS, Kazak AE, Neuman HB, Unger JM, Weaver KE
- J Am Coll Radiol 2019 Apr; 16(4 Pt A): 427-434
- [PubMed ID: 30819455]
- Debating the Optimal Approach to Nodal Management After Pathologic Complete Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Patients With Breast Cancer.
- Carter S, Neuman H, Mamounas EP, Bedrosian I, Moulder S, Montero AJ, Jagsi R
- Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2019 Jan; 39: 42-48
- [PubMed ID: 31099648]