John E. Scarborough, MD, FACS
- Section Head, Emergency Surgery
- Vice Chair for Quality, Department of Surgery
- Division of Acute Care and Regional General Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 1998
- General Surgery Residency, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 2005
- Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 2006
- Abdominal Transplant Fellowship, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 2007
Dr. Scarborough is certified by the American Board of Surgery in Surgery and Surgical Critical Care. He specializes in emergency surgery (Acute Care Surgery), general surgery, laparoscopic surgery, lower GI (colorectal, small bowel), surgical critical care, trauma (abdominal trauma, thoracic trauma, traumatic brain injury) and upper GI surgery (hepatobiliary, stomach, esophagus).
Dr. Scarborough provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Excision of Lipoma, Laparoscopic Groin Hernia Repair, Muscle Biopsy, Open Groin Hernia Repair, Sebaceous Cyst Removal, Subcutaneous Tumor Removal, Trauma Surgery, Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Scarborough’s research interest is in health services research.
- Measuring Competence in Surgical Training through Assessment of Surgical Entrustable Professional Activities.
- Steiman J, Sullivan SA, Scarborough J, Wilke L, Pugh C, Bell RH, Kent KC
- J Surg Educ 2018 Nov; 75(6): 1452-1462
- [PubMed ID: 30097351]
- Patient-Centered Outcome Spectrum: An Evidence-based Framework to Aid in Shared Decision-making.
- Ingraham AM, Agarwal SK, Jung HS, Liepert AE, O'Rourke AP, Scarborough JE
- Ann. Surg. 2018 Dec; 268(6): 980-984
- [PubMed ID: 28922208]
- Effect of transfer status on outcomes for necrotizing soft tissue infections.
- Ingraham AM, Jung HS, Liepert AE, Warner-Hillard C, Greenberg CC, Scarborough JE
- J. Surg. Res. 2017 Dec; 220: 372-378
- [PubMed ID: 29180205]
- The Volume-outcome Relationship in Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation and Implications for Regionalization.
- Barbas AS, Dib MJ, Rege AS, Vikraman DS, Sudan DL, Knechtle SJ, Scarborough JE
- Ann. Surg. 2018 Jun; 267(6): 1169-1172
- [PubMed ID: 28650358]
- Predictors of 30-day postoperative major adverse clinical events after carotid artery stenting: An analysis of the procedure-targeted American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program.
- Bennett KM, Hoch JR, Scarborough JE
- J. Vasc. Surg. 2017 10; 66(4): 1093-1099
- [PubMed ID: 28596038]