John E. Scarborough, MD, FACS
- Section Head, Emergency Surgery
- Vice Chair for Quality, Department of Surgery
- Division of Acute Care and Regional General Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 1998
- General Surgery Residency, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 2005
- Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 2006
- Abdominal Transplant Fellowship, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, 2007
Dr. Scarborough is certified by the American Board of Surgery in Surgery and Surgical Critical Care. He specializes in emergency surgery (Acute Care Surgery), general surgery, laparoscopic surgery, lower GI (colorectal, small bowel), surgical critical care, trauma (abdominal trauma, thoracic trauma, traumatic brain injury) and upper GI surgery (hepatobiliary, stomach, esophagus).
Dr. Scarborough provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Excision of Lipoma, Laparoscopic Groin Hernia Repair, Muscle Biopsy, Open Groin Hernia Repair, Sebaceous Cyst Removal, Subcutaneous Tumor Removal, Trauma Surgery, Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Scarborough’s research interest is in health services research.
- Locoregional anesthesia is associated with lower 30-day mortality than general anesthesia in patients undergoing endovascular repair of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Bennett KM, McAninch CM, Scarborough JE
- J. Vasc. Surg. 2019 May 21;
- [PubMed ID: 31126760]
- What Is the Role for Carotid Stenting Versus Endarterectomy?
- Bennett KM, Scarborough JE
- Adv Surg 2019 Sep; 53: 37-53
- [PubMed ID: 31327455]
- Utilization of a specimen retrieval bag during laparoscopic appendectomy for both uncomplicated and complicated appendicitis is not associated with a decrease in postoperative surgical site infection rates.
- Turner SA, Jung HS, Scarborough JE
- Surgery 2019 Jun; 165(6): 1199-1202
- [PubMed ID: 31043235]
- Measuring Competence in Surgical Training through Assessment of Surgical Entrustable Professional Activities.
- Steiman J, Sullivan SA, Scarborough J, Wilke L, Pugh C, Bell RH, Kent KC
- J Surg Educ 2018 Nov; 75(6): 1452-1462
- [PubMed ID: 30097351]
- Patient-Centered Outcome Spectrum: An Evidence-based Framework to Aid in Shared Decision-making.
- Ingraham AM, Agarwal SK, Jung HS, Liepert AE, O'Rourke AP, Scarborough JE
- Ann. Surg. 2018 12; 268(6): 980-984
- [PubMed ID: 28922208]