Joshua Hermsen, MD
- Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- MD, Medical University of South Carolina, 2004
- General Surgery Residency, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- Congenital Cardiac Surgery Fellowship, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA
Dr. Hermsen specializes in the care of patients of all ages with congenital heart disease ranging from repairs in the neonatal period to multiple re-do operations and transplants in adult patients of all ages. He also has interest and expertise in treating patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy complicated by obstruction of the left ventricular outflow tract, mitral valve problems and heart rhythm problems. He also has extensive experience in treating patients with congenital and acquired heart disease complicated by infectious endocarditis.
Dr. Hermsen’s research interests focus on demonstrating utility of medical 3D printing related to septal myectomy surgery and examining the effects of using cardiac surgical simulation for resident education.
- Durable mechanical circulatory support in teenagers and adults with congenital heart disease: A systematic review.
- Steiner JM, Krieger EV, Stout KK, Stempien-Otero A, Mahr C, Mokadam NA, Hermsen JL
- Int. J. Cardiol. 2017 Oct 15; 245: 135-140
- [PubMed ID: 28781147]
- No free lunch: Even with a diet heavy on PEARS.
- Hermsen JL, Ripley B
- J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2017 Jul; 154(1): 80
- [PubMed ID: 28633215]
- Progress comes in small steps.
- Hermsen JL, Mokadam NA, Verrier ED
- J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2017 Jun; 153(6): 1438
- [PubMed ID: 28526105]
- Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm Rupture Misdiagnosed as a Ventricular Septal Defect.
- Togashi K, Hermsen JL, Joffe DC
- Anesth. Analg. 2017 May; 124(5): 1437-1439
- [PubMed ID: 27622721]
- Hey! Teacher! Leave Them Kids Alone!
- Hermsen JL, Mokadam NA
- Semin. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2017; 29(1): 23-24
- [PubMed ID: 28683991]