Joshua Hermsen, MD
- Section of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- MD, Medical University of South Carolina, 2004
- General Surgery Residency, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- Congenital Cardiac Surgery Fellowship, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA
Dr. Hermsen specializes in the care of patients of all ages with congenital heart disease ranging from repairs in the neonatal period to multiple re-do operations and transplants in adult patients of all ages. He also has interest and expertise in treating patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy complicated by obstruction of the left ventricular outflow tract, mitral valve problems and heart rhythm problems. He also has extensive experience in treating patients with congenital and acquired heart disease complicated by infectious endocarditis.
Dr. Hermsen’s research interests focus on demonstrating utility of medical 3D printing related to septal myectomy surgery, cardiomyopathy, and examining the effects of using cardiac surgical simulation for resident education.
- Methods for verification of 3D printed anatomic model accuracy using cardiac models as an example.
- Odeh M, Levin D, Inziello J, Lobo Fenoglietto F, Mathur M, Hermsen J, Stubbs J, Ripley B
- 3D Print Med 2019 Mar 29; 5(1): 6
- [PubMed ID: 30923948]
- Development of a 3-D printing-based cardiac surgical simulation curriculum to teach septal myectomy.
- Hermsen JL, Yang R, Burke TM, Dardas T, Jacobs LM, Verrier ED, Mokadam NA
- J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2018 Sep; 156(3): 1139-1148.e3
- [PubMed ID: 30029780]
- In these "good times," it can still be "diff'rent strokes" for different folks.
- Hermsen JL, Mokadam NA, Verrier ED
- J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2017 Nov; 154(5): 1688-1689
- [PubMed ID: 29042044]
- Long-Term Right Ventricular Assist Device Therapy in an Adult with Pulmonary Atresia/Intact Ventricular Septum.
- Hermsen JL, Stout KK, Stempien-Otero A, Verrier ED, Mokadam NA
- ASAIO J. 2018 Jul/Aug; 64(4): e72-e74
- [PubMed ID: 29095737]
- Durable mechanical circulatory support in teenagers and adults with congenital heart disease: A systematic review.
- Steiner JM, Krieger EV, Stout KK, Stempien-Otero A, Mahr C, Mokadam NA, Hermsen JL
- Int. J. Cardiol. 2017 Oct 15; 245: 135-140
- [PubMed ID: 28781147]