Kristin Long, MD, MPH, FACS
- Division of Endocrine Surgery
Clinic: (608) 242-2888
- Administrative Assistant: (608) 263-1387
Clinical Sciences Center
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-7375
- MD, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, 2009
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 2013
- Internship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2009-2010
- Residency, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2010-2015
- Research Fellowship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2012-2013
- Endocrine Surgery Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2015-2016
- MPH, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 2019
- Co-Chair of the Global Affairs Committee for the Association for Academic Surgery
- Vice-Chair of the Global Surgery Committee for the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Dr. Long is certified by the American Board of Surgery and completed her subspecialty fellowship training in Endocrine Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She specializes in treating both benign and malignant disease of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. She employs multiple operative techniques, including total thyroidectomy, central and lateral neck dissections, minimally invasive parathyroidectomy, retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy, and intraoperative parathyroid hormone testing. She is a member of several specialty societies, including the American College of Surgeons, the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, and the Association for Academic Surgery.
Dr. Long is particularly interested in the surgical treatment and management of thyroid carcinoma and hereditary endocrine disorders such as Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndromes. She is also interested in global surgery, particularly in developing countries, and improving access to specialized care for patients with unique endocrine disorders.
Dr. Long provides a wide range of services including Adrenal Surgery, Central Neck Dissection, Endocrine Surgery, Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA), Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy, Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy (MIRP), Modified Radical Neck Dissection, Neck Ultrasound, Open Adrenalectomy, Parathyroid Surgery, Resection Of Substernal Goiter, Retroperitoneoscopic Adrenalectomy, Subtotal Parathyroidectomy, Thyroidectomy, Thyroid Lobectomy, Thyroid Surgery, Total Thyroidectomy.
Informed Consent and Informed Decision-Making in High-Risk Surgery: A Quantitative Analysis.
Long KL, Ingraham AM, Wendt EM, Saucke MC, Balentine C, Orne J, Pitt SC
J Am Coll Surg 2021 Sep; 233(3): 337-345
[PubMed ID: 34102279]
Thyroid Lobectomy for Low-Risk Papillary Thyroid Cancer: A National Survey of Low- and High-Volume Surgeons.
McDow AD, Saucke MC, Marka NA, Long KL, Pitt SC
Ann Surg Oncol 2021 Jul; 28(7): 3568-3575
[PubMed ID: 33939048]
Adoption of Active Surveillance for Very Low-Risk Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in the United States: A National Survey.
Pitt SC, Yang N, Saucke MC, Marka N, Hanlon B, Long KL, McDow AD, Brito JP, Roman BR
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2021 03 25; 106(4): e1728-e1737
[PubMed ID: 33373458]
Developing Research Potential and Building Partnerships: A Report of the Fundamentals of Surgical Research Course at the College of Surgeons of East, Central, and Southern Africa.
Long KL, Galukande M, Kyamanywa P, Tarpley MJ, Dodgion C, Global Affairs Committee of the Association for Academic Surgery
J Surg Res 2021 03; 259: 34-38
[PubMed ID: 33278795]
Preoperative surgeon-performed ultrasound of massive thyroid goiter in rural Kenya.
Dedhia PH, Stoeckl EM, McDow AD, Saruni S, Schneider DF, Long KL
Am J Surg 2021 05; 221(5): 925-926
[PubMed ID: 33036726]