Kristin Long, MD, MPH, FACS
- Division of Endocrine Surgery
Clinic: (608) 242-2888
- Administrative Assistant: (608) 263-1387
Clinical Sciences Center
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-7375
- MD, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, 2009
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 2013
- Internship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2009-2010
- Residency, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2010-2015
- Research Fellowship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2012-2013
- Endocrine Surgery Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2015-2016
- MPH, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 2019
- Co-Chair of the Global Affairs Committee for the Association for Academic Surgery
- Vice-Chair of the Global Surgery Committee for the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Dr. Long is certified by the American Board of Surgery and completed her subspecialty fellowship training in Endocrine Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She specializes in treating both benign and malignant disease of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. She employs multiple operative techniques, including total thyroidectomy, central and lateral neck dissections, minimally invasive parathyroidectomy, retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy, and intraoperative parathyroid hormone testing. She is a member of several specialty societies, including the American College of Surgeons, the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, and the Association for Academic Surgery.
Dr. Long is particularly interested in the surgical treatment and management of thyroid carcinoma and hereditary endocrine disorders such as Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndromes. She is also interested in global surgery, particularly in developing countries, and improving access to specialized care for patients with unique endocrine disorders.
Dr. Long provides a wide range of services including Adrenal Surgery, Central Neck Dissection, Endocrine Surgery, Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA), Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy, Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy (MIRP), Modified Radical Neck Dissection, Neck Ultrasound, Open Adrenalectomy, Parathyroid Surgery, Resection Of Substernal Goiter, Retroperitoneoscopic Adrenalectomy, Subtotal Parathyroidectomy, Thyroidectomy, Thyroid Lobectomy, Thyroid Surgery, Total Thyroidectomy.
A Mastery Learning Module on Sterile Technique to Prepare Graduating Medical Students for Internship.
Blumenfeld A, Velic A, Bingman EK, Long KL, Aughenbaugh W, Jung SA, Liepert AE
MedEdPORTAL 2020 Jun 29; 16: 10914
[PubMed ID: 32704532]
Outcomes after completion thyroidectomy versus total thyroidectomy for differentiated thyroid cancer: A single-center experience.
Dedhia PH, Stoeckl EM, McDow AD, Pitt SC, Schneider DF, Sippel RS, Long KL
J Surg Oncol 2020 May 28;
[PubMed ID: 32468708]
Utility of the 10 Hounsfield unit threshold for identifying adrenal adenomas: Can we improve?
Kirsch MJ, Kohli MW, Long KL, Pitt SC, Schneider DF, Sippel RS, Dedhia PH
Am. J. Surg. 2020 Apr 21;
[PubMed ID: 32359690]
Online Information for Treatment for Low-Risk Thyroid Cancer: Assessment of Timeliness, Content, Quality, and Readability.
Doubleday AR, Novin S, Long KL, Schneider DF, Sippel RS, Pitt SC
J Cancer Educ 2020 Feb 27;
[PubMed ID: 32108292]
Surgical Coaching for Advancement of Global Surgical Skills and Capacity: A Systematic Review.
El-Gabri D, McDow AD, Quamme SP, Hooper-Lane C, Greenberg CC, Long KL
J. Surg. Res. 2020 02; 246: 499-505
[PubMed ID: 31679798]