Kristin Long, MD
- Division of Endocrine Surgery
- Divisions of General Surgery
Clinical Sciences Center
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-7375
- MD, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, 2009
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 2013
- Internship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2009-2010
- Residency, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2010-2015
- Research Fellowship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2012-2013
- Endocrine Surgery Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2015-2016
Dr. Long is certified by the American Board of Surgery and completed her subspecialty fellowship training in Endocrine Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She specializes in treating both benign and malignant disease of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. She employs multiple operative techniques, including total thyroidectomy, central and lateral neck dissections, minimally invasive parathyroidectomy, retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy, and intraoperative parathyroid hormone testing. She is a member of several specialty societies, including the American College of Surgeons, the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, and the Association for Academic Surgery.
Dr. Long is particularly interested in the surgical treatment and management of thyroid carcinoma and hereditary endocrine disorders such as Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndromes. She is also interested in global surgery, particularly in developing countries, and improving access to specialized care for patients with unique endocrine disorders.
Dr. Long provides a wide range of services including Adrenal Surgery, Central Neck Dissection, Endocrine Surgery, Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA), Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy, Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy (MIRP), Modified Radical Neck Dissection, Neck Ultrasound, Open Adrenalectomy, Parathyroid Surgery, Resection Of Substernal Goiter, Retroperitoneoscopic Adrenalectomy, Subtotal Parathyroidectomy, Thyroidectomy, Thyroid Lobectomy, Thyroid Surgery, Total Thyroidectomy.
- Back so soon? Is early recurrence of papillary thyroid cancer really just persistent disease?
- Bates MF, Lamas MR, Randle RW, Long KL, Pitt SC, Schneider DF, Sippel RS
- Surgery 2018 01; 163(1): 118-123
- [PubMed ID: 29128176]
- Impact of potassium iodide on thyroidectomy for Graves' disease: Implications for safety and operative difficulty.
- Randle RW, Bates MF, Long KL, Pitt SC, Schneider DF, Sippel RS
- Surgery 2018 01; 163(1): 68-72
- [PubMed ID: 29108701]
- All in the family? Analyzing the impact of family history in addition to genotype on medullary thyroid carcinoma aggressiveness in MEN2A patients.
- Long KL, Etzel C, Rich T, Hyde S, Perrier ND, Graham PH, Lee JE, Hu MI, Cote GJ, Gagel R, Grubbs EG
- Fam. Cancer 2017 04; 16(2): 283-289
- [PubMed ID: 27864651]
- Effect of adjunctive dexmedetomidine on postoperative intravenous opioid administration in patients undergoing thyroidectomy in an ambulatory setting.
- Long K, Ruiz J, Kee S, Kowalski A, Goravanchi F, Cerny J, French K, Hernandez M, Perrier N, Rebello E
- J Clin Anesth 2016 Dec; 35: 361-364
- [PubMed ID: 27871557]
- Traumatic Pancreaticoduodenectomy and Superior Mesenteric Vein Injury After Blunt Trauma in a Pediatric Patient.
- Long KL, Skinner SC, Ward AN, Strong WR, McGrath PC, Maynard EC
- Am Surg 2015 Sep; 81(9): e328-9
- [PubMed ID: 26350647]