Kristin Long, MD, MPH, FACS
- Division of Endocrine Surgery
Clinical Sciences Center
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-7375
- MD, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, 2009
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 2013
- Internship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2009-2010
- Residency, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2010-2015
- Research Fellowship, University of Kentucky Department of General Surgery, Lexington, Kentucky, 2012-2013
- Endocrine Surgery Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 2015-2016
- MPH, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 2019
- Co-Chair of the Global Affairs Committee for the Association for Academic Surgery
- Vice-Chair of the Global Surgery Committee for the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Dr. Long is certified by the American Board of Surgery and completed her subspecialty fellowship training in Endocrine Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She specializes in treating both benign and malignant disease of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. She employs multiple operative techniques, including total thyroidectomy, central and lateral neck dissections, minimally invasive parathyroidectomy, retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy, and intraoperative parathyroid hormone testing. She is a member of several specialty societies, including the American College of Surgeons, the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, and the Association for Academic Surgery.
Dr. Long is particularly interested in the surgical treatment and management of thyroid carcinoma and hereditary endocrine disorders such as Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndromes. She is also interested in global surgery, particularly in developing countries, and improving access to specialized care for patients with unique endocrine disorders.
Dr. Long provides a wide range of services including Adrenal Surgery, Central Neck Dissection, Endocrine Surgery, Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA), Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy, Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy (MIRP), Modified Radical Neck Dissection, Neck Ultrasound, Open Adrenalectomy, Parathyroid Surgery, Resection Of Substernal Goiter, Retroperitoneoscopic Adrenalectomy, Subtotal Parathyroidectomy, Thyroidectomy, Thyroid Lobectomy, Thyroid Surgery, Total Thyroidectomy.
- Optimizing Levothyroxine Dose Adjustment After Thyroidectomy With a Decision Tree.
- Chen SS, Zaborek NA, Doubleday AR, Schaefer SC, Long KL, Pitt SC, Sippel RS, Schneider DF
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Jul 04; 244: 102-106
- [PubMed ID: 31279993]
- Utility of Early Postoperative Unstimulated Thyroglobulin in Influencing Decision Making in Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma.
- McDow AD, Shumway CM, Pitt SC, Schneider DF, Sippel RS, Long KL
- Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2019 Nov; 26(12): 4002-4007
- [PubMed ID: 31267301]
- Identifying Predictors of Prolonged Levothyroxine Dose Adjustment After Thyroidectomy.
- Atruktsang TS, Zaborek NA, Imbus JR, Long K, Pitt SC, Sippel RS, Schneider DF
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Oct; 242: 166-171
- [PubMed ID: 31078901]
- The optimal dosing scheme for levothyroxine after thyroidectomy: A comprehensive comparison and evaluation.
- Zaborek NA, Cheng A, Imbus JR, Long KL, Pitt SC, Sippel RS, Schneider DF
- Surgery 2019 01; 165(1): 92-98
- [PubMed ID: 30413325]
- Improving Surgical Outreach in Palestine: Assessing Goals of Local and Visiting Surgeons.
- McDow AD, Salman SO, Abughazaleh KM, Long KL
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Jan; 233: 139-143
- [PubMed ID: 30502240]