- MD, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, 2005
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2009
- General Surgery Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, 2012
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, 2013
Dr. Funk is fellowship trained in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery and is board certified in General Surgery. He is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, and the American College of Surgeons. He specializes in minimally invasive techniques for bariatric and metabolic surgery, esophageal and gastric disorders, abdominal wall hernias, and gall bladder disorders.
Dr. Funk provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band, Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Heller Myotomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Nissen Fundoplication, Laparoscopic and Robotic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, LINX Reflux Management System for GERD, Open and Laparoscopic Hernia Repair, Peroral Endoscopic Mytomy (POEM), Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Funk’s research focuses on national patterns of surgical care, access to surgical care and improving the quality of surgical care. He also studies obesity treatment and the decision-making involved in the care of obese patients. He conducts his research at the University of Wisconsin and VA Hospitals.
- Weight Loss for Patients With Obesity: An Analysis of Long-Term Electronic Health Record Data.
- Liu N, Birstler J, Venkatesh M, Hanrahan LP, Chen G, Funk LM
- Med Care 2019 Dec 24;
- [PubMed ID: 31876663]
- Accuracy of common proton density fat fraction thresholds for magnitude- and complex-based chemical shift-encoded MRI for assessing hepatic steatosis in patients with obesity.
- Cunha GM, Thai TT, Hamilton G, Covarrubias Y, Schlein A, Middleton MS, Wiens CN, McMillan A, Agni R, Funk LM, Campos GM, Horgan S, Jacobson G, Wolfson T, Gamst A, Schwimmer JB, Reeder SB, Sirlin CB
- Abdom Radiol (NY) 2019 Nov 28;
- [PubMed ID: 31781899]
- Bariatric Surgery Trends in the U.S.: 1% is the Loneliest Number.
- Liu N, Funk LM
- Ann. Surg. 2020 Feb; 271(2): 210-211
- [PubMed ID: 31800491]
- Long-term dysphagia resolution following POEM versus Heller myotomy for achalasia patients.
- Shea GE, Johnson MK, Venkatesh M, Jolles SA, Prout TM, Shada AL, Greenberg JA, Lidor AO, Funk LM
- Surg Endosc 2019 Jul 10;
- [PubMed ID: 31292743]
- 30-Day Outcomes After Intraoperative Leak Testing for Bariatric Surgery Patients.
- Liu N, Cusack MC, Venkatesh M, Pontes AL, Shea G, Svoboda DC, Greenberg JA, Lidor AO, Funk LM
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Oct; 242: 136-144
- [PubMed ID: 31077945]