- MD, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, 2005
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2009
- General Surgery Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, 2012
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, 2013
Dr. Funk is fellowship trained in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery and is board certified in General Surgery. He is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, and the American College of Surgeons. He specializes in minimally invasive techniques for bariatric and metabolic surgery, esophageal and gastric disorders, abdominal wall hernias, and gall bladder disorders.
Dr. Funk provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band, Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Heller Myotomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Nissen Fundoplication, Laparoscopic and Robotic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, LINX Reflux Management System for GERD, Open and Laparoscopic Hernia Repair, Peroral Endoscopic Mytomy (POEM), Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Funk’s research focuses on national patterns of surgical care, access to surgical care and improving the quality of surgical care. He conducts his research at the University of Wisconsin and VA Hospitals.
- Geographic Variation in Obesity, Behavioral Treatment, and Bariatric Surgery for Veterans.
- Maciejewski ML, Arterburn DE, Berkowitz TSZ, Weidenbacher HJ, Liu CF, Olsen MK, Funk LM, Mitchell JE, Smith VA
- Obesity (Silver Spring) 2018 Nov 13;
- [PubMed ID: 30421849]
- Wisconsin's Enterra Therapy Experience: A multi-institutional review of gastric electrical stimulation for medically refractory gastroparesis.
- Shada A, Nielsen A, Marowski S, Helm M, Funk LM, Kastenmeier A, Lidor A, Gould JC
- Surgery 2018 Oct; 164(4): 760-765
- [PubMed ID: 30072246]
- Relationship Status After Bariatric Surgery: It's Complicated.
- Imbus JR, Funk LM
- JAMA Surg 2018 Jul 01; 153(7): 661-662
- [PubMed ID: 29590298]
- How bariatric surgery affects liver volume and fat density in NAFLD patients.
- Luo RB, Suzuki T, Hooker JC, Covarrubias Y, Schlein A, Liu S, Schwimmer JB, Reeder SB, Funk LM, Greenberg JA, Campos GM, Sandler BJ, Horgan S, Sirlin CB, Jacobsen GR
- Surg Endosc 2018 Apr; 32(4): 1675-1682
- [PubMed ID: 29218660]
- Bariatric surgery barriers: a review using Andersen's Model of Health Services Use.
- Imbus JR, Voils CI, Funk LM
- Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018 03; 14(3): 404-412
- [PubMed ID: 29249585]