- MD, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, 2005
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2009
- General Surgery Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, 2012
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, 2013
Dr. Funk is fellowship trained in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery and is board certified in General Surgery. He is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, and the American College of Surgeons. He specializes in minimally invasive techniques for bariatric and metabolic surgery, esophageal and gastric disorders, abdominal wall hernias, and gall bladder disorders.
Dr. Funk provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band, Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Heller Myotomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Nissen Fundoplication, Laparoscopic and Robotic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, LINX Reflux Management System for GERD, Open and Laparoscopic Hernia Repair, Peroral Endoscopic Mytomy (POEM), Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Funk’s research focuses on national patterns of surgical care, access to surgical care and improving the quality of surgical care. He conducts his research at the University of Wisconsin and VA Hospitals.
- Monitoring Fatty Liver Disease with MRI Following Bariatric Surgery: A Prospective, Dual-Center Study.
- Pooler BD, Wiens CN, McMillan A, Artz NS, Schlein A, Covarrubias Y, Hooker J, Schwimmer JB, Funk LM, Campos GM, Greenberg JA, Jacobsen G, Horgan S, Wolfson T, Gamst AC, Sirlin CB, Reeder SB
- Radiology 2018 Dec 18; 181134
- [PubMed ID: 30561273]
- Deficiencies in postoperative surveillance for veterans with gastrointestinal cancer.
- Taylor LJ, Xu K, Maloney JD, Voils CI, Weber SM, Funk LM, Abbott DE
- J Surg Oncol 2019 Mar; 119(3): 273-277
- [PubMed ID: 30554412]
- Geographic Variation in Obesity, Behavioral Treatment, and Bariatric Surgery for Veterans.
- Maciejewski ML, Arterburn DE, Berkowitz TSZ, Weidenbacher HJ, Liu CF, Olsen MK, Funk LM, Mitchell JE, Smith VA
- Obesity (Silver Spring) 2019 Jan; 27(1): 161-165
- [PubMed ID: 30421849]
- Persistent Dysphagia Rate After Antireflux Surgery is Similar for Nissen Fundoplication and Partial Fundoplication.
- Walle KV, Funk LM, Xu Y, Davies KD, Greenberg J, Shada A, Lidor A
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Mar; 235: 52-57
- [PubMed ID: 30691837]
- Wisconsin's Enterra Therapy Experience: A multi-institutional review of gastric electrical stimulation for medically refractory gastroparesis.
- Shada A, Nielsen A, Marowski S, Helm M, Funk LM, Kastenmeier A, Lidor A, Gould JC
- Surgery 2018 10; 164(4): 760-765
- [PubMed ID: 30072246]