- MD, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, 2005
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2009
- General Surgery Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, 2012
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, 2013
Dr. Funk is fellowship trained in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery and is board certified in General Surgery. He is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, and the American College of Surgeons. He specializes in minimally invasive techniques for bariatric and metabolic surgery, esophageal and gastric disorders, abdominal wall hernias, and gall bladder disorders.
Dr. Funk provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band, Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Heller Myotomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Nissen Fundoplication, Laparoscopic and Robotic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, LINX Reflux Management System for GERD, Open and Laparoscopic Hernia Repair, Peroral Endoscopic Mytomy (POEM), Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Funk’s research focuses on national patterns of surgical care, access to surgical care and improving the quality of surgical care. He also studies obesity treatment and the decision-making involved in the care of obese patients. He conducts his research at the University of Wisconsin and VA Hospitals.
- Long-term dysphagia resolution following POEM versus Heller myotomy for achalasia patients.
- Shea GE, Johnson MK, Venkatesh M, Jolles SA, Prout TM, Shada AL, Greenberg JA, Lidor AO, Funk LM
- Surg Endosc 2019 Jul 10;
- [PubMed ID: 31292743]
- 30-Day Outcomes After Intraoperative Leak Testing for Bariatric Surgery Patients.
- Liu N, Cusack MC, Venkatesh M, Pontes AL, Shea G, Svoboda DC, Greenberg JA, Lidor AO, Funk LM
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Oct; 242: 136-144
- [PubMed ID: 31077945]
- Motivations of Males with Severe Obesity, Who Pursue Medical Weight Management or Bariatric Surgery.
- Jolles SA, Alagoz E, Liu N, Voils CI, Shea G, Funk LM
- J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2019 Jun; 29(6): 730-740
- [PubMed ID: 31017517]
- Healthcare spending and utilization following antireflux surgery: examining costs and reasons for readmission.
- Kleppe KL, Xu Y, Funk LM, Wang X, Havlena JA, Greenberg JA, Lidor AO
- Surg Endosc 2019 Apr 05;
- [PubMed ID: 30953200]
- Monitoring Fatty Liver Disease with MRI Following Bariatric Surgery: A Prospective, Dual-Center Study.
- Pooler BD, Wiens CN, McMillan A, Artz NS, Schlein A, Covarrubias Y, Hooker J, Schwimmer JB, Funk LM, Campos GM, Greenberg JA, Jacobsen G, Horgan S, Wolfson T, Gamst AC, Sirlin CB, Reeder SB
- Radiology 2019 Mar; 290(3): 682-690
- [PubMed ID: 30561273]