Luke Funk, MD, MPH, FACS
- Director of MIS Research
- Division of Minimally Invasive, Foregut and Bariatric Surgery
- Divisions of General Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-0001
- MD, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, 2005
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2009
- General Surgery Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, 2012
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, 2013
Dr. Funk is fellowship trained in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery and is board certified in General Surgery. He is a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons, and the American College of Surgeons. He specializes in minimally invasive techniques for bariatric and metabolic surgery, esophageal and gastric disorders, abdominal wall hernias, and gall bladder disorders.
Dr. Funk provides a wide range of services including Appendectomy, Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal), Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band, Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Heller Myotomy, Laparoscopic and Robotic Nissen Fundoplication, Laparoscopic and Robotic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, LINX Reflux Management System for GERD, Open and Laparoscopic Hernia Repair, Peroral Endoscopic Mytomy (POEM), Ventral / Abdominal Hernia Repair.
Dr. Funk’s research focuses on national patterns of surgical care, access to surgical care and improving the quality of surgical care. He conducts his research at the University of Wisconsin and VA Hospitals.
- How bariatric surgery affects liver volume and fat density in NAFLD patients.
- Luo RB, Suzuki T, Hooker JC, Covarrubias Y, Schlein A, Liu S, Schwimmer JB, Reeder SB, Funk LM, Greenberg JA, Campos GM, Sandler BJ, Horgan S, Sirlin CB, Jacobsen GR
- Surg Endosc 2017 Dec 07;
- [PubMed ID: 29218660]
- Bariatric surgery barriers: a review using Andersen's Model of Health Services Use.
- Imbus JR, Voils CI, Funk LM
- Surg Obes Relat Dis 2017 Nov 10;
- [PubMed ID: 29249585]
- Patient predictors of weight loss following a behavioral weight management intervention among US Veterans with severe obesity.
- Funk LM, Grubber JM, McVay MA, Olsen MK, Yancy WS, Voils CI
- Eat Weight Disord 2017 Aug 29;
- [PubMed ID: 28853051]
- Concurrent bariatric surgery and paraesophageal hernia repair: comparison of sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Shada AL, Stem M, Funk LM, Greenberg JA, Lidor AO
- Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018 Jan; 14(1): 8-13
- [PubMed ID: 28869165]
- Emergency department visits and readmissions within 1 year of bariatric surgery: A statewide analysis using hospital discharge records.
- Mora-Pinzon MC, Henkel D, Miller RE, Remington PL, Gould JC, Kothari SN, Funk LM
- Surgery 2017 11; 162(5): 1155-1162
- [PubMed ID: 28755967]