Margaret "Gretchen" Schwarze, MD, MPP, FACS
- Division of Vascular Surgery
- Morgridge Professor in Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1995
- MPP, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA, 1995
- Residency in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1996-2002
- Research Fellowship, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Boston, MA, 1998-2000
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2002-2004
- Fellowship in Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2003-2004
Dr. Schwarze specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery. She is board certified in both general surgery and vascular surgery.
Dr. Schwarze provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Schwarze is a board-certified vascular surgeon and medical ethicist. She is a nationally recognized expert in surgical decision making, informed consent, advance directives and end-of-life care.
Her research focuses on improving communication between older patients and their surgeons so that patients can avoid unwanted treatment and make decisions that align with their values, preferences and goals.
Surgical Overtreatment and Shared Decision-making-The Limits of Choice.
Clapp JT, Schwarze ML, Fleisher LA
JAMA Surg 2021 Oct 13;
[PubMed ID: 34643671]
Empathy for the Unvaccinated.
Schwarze ML, Ehlenbach WJ
WMJ 2021 10; 120(3): 168
[PubMed ID: 34710294]
Top ten strategies to enhance grant-writing success.
Guyer RA, Schwarze ML, Gosain A, Maggard-Gibbons M, Keswani SG, Goldstein AM
Surgery 2021 Jul 19;
[PubMed ID: 34294451]
Qualitative Analysis of Single-Site Headache Surgery: Is It Different From Multiple-Site Surgery?
Israel JS, Gutierrez-Meza D, Albano NJ, Smith JP, Abd-Elsayed A, Schwarze ML, Macdonald CL, Afifi AM
Ann Plast Surg 2021 07 01; 87(1): 73-79
[PubMed ID: 34133367]
Expressions of conflict following postoperative complications in older adults having major surgery.
Kalbfell EL, Buffington A, Kata A, Brasel KJ, Mosenthal AC, Cooper Z, Finlayson E, Schwarze ML
Am J Surg 2021 10; 222(4): 670-676
[PubMed ID: 34218931]