Margaret "Gretchen" Schwarze, MD, MPP, FACS
- Division of Vascular Surgery
- Morgridge Professor in Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1995
- MPP, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA, 1995
- Residency in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1996-2002
- Research Fellowship, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Boston, MA, 1998-2000
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2002-2004
- Fellowship in Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2003-2004
Dr. Schwarze specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery. She is board certified in both general surgery and vascular surgery.
Dr. Schwarze provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Schwarze is a board-certified vascular surgeon and medical ethicist. She is a nationally recognized expert in surgical decision making, informed consent, advance directives and end-of-life care.
Her research focuses on improving communication between older patients and their surgeons so that patients can avoid unwanted treatment and make decisions that align with their values, preferences and goals.
Innovations in Surgical Communication 4-Present the Downsides of Surgery, Not Just Risks.
Zaza SI, Arnold RM, Schwarze ML
JAMA Surg 2023 Aug 23;
[PubMed ID: 37610756]
Innovations in Surgical Communication 3-Promote Deliberation, Not Technical Education.
Schwarze ML, Clapp J, Arnold RM
JAMA Surg 2023 Aug 16;
[PubMed ID: 37585186]
Innovations in Surgical Communication 2-Focus on the Goals of Surgery.
Schwarze ML, Kruser JM, Clapp JT
JAMA Surg 2023 Aug 09;
[PubMed ID: 37556129]
Palliative Care Training in Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship: A Cross-Sectional Survey.
House TR, Wightman A, Smith J, Schwarze M, Bradford MC, Rosenberg AR
Kidney360 2023 Aug 02;
[PubMed ID: 37531201]
Innovations in Surgical Communication-Provide Your Opinion, Don't Hide It.
Haug KL, Clapp JT, Schwarze ML
JAMA Surg 2023 Aug 02;
[PubMed ID: 37531127]