Margaret "Gretchen" Schwarze, MD, MPP, FACS
- Endowed Professor, Morgridge Professorship in Vascular Surgery
- Division of Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1995
- MPP, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA, 1995
- Residency in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1996-2002
- Research Fellowship, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Boston, MA, 1998-2000
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2002-2004
- Fellowship in Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2003-2004
Dr. Schwarze specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery. She is board certified in both general surgery and vascular surgery.
Dr. Schwarze provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Schwarze is a board-certified vascular surgeon and medical ethicist. She is a nationally recognized expert in surgical decision making, informed consent, advance directives and end-of-life care.
Her research focuses on improving communication between older patients and their surgeons so that patients can avoid unwanted treatment and make decisions that align with their values, preferences and goals.
- Opportunities to Improve Shared Decision Making in Dialysis Decisions for Older Adults with Life-Limiting Kidney Disease: A Pilot Study.
- Zimmermann CJ, Jhagroo RA, Wakeen M, Schueller K, Zelenski A, Tucholka JL, Fox DA, Baggett ND, Buffington A, Campbell TC, Johnson SK, Schwarze ML
- J Palliat Med 2020 Jan 13;
- [PubMed ID: 31930929]
- Effectiveness of a Question Prompt List Intervention for Older Patients Considering Major Surgery: A Multisite Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Schwarze ML, Buffington A, Tucholka JL, Hanlon B, Rathouz PJ, Marka N, Taylor LJ, Zimmermann CJ, Kata A, Baggett ND, Fox DA, Schmick AE, Berlin A, Glass NE, Mosenthal AC, Finlayson E, Cooper Z, Brasel KJ
- JAMA Surg 2019 Oct 30;
- [PubMed ID: 31664452]
- "Like a Normal Person Again": A Qualitative Analysis of the Impact of Headache Surgery.
- Afifi AM, Schwarze ML, Stilp EK, Orne J, Smith JP, Abd-Elsayed AA, Anderson BM, Salem A, Macdonald CL, Israel JS
- Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2019 Oct; 144(4): 956-964
- [PubMed ID: 31568311]
- Surgery Hurts: Characterizing the Experience of Pain in Surgical Patients as Witnessed by Medical Students.
- Zens TJ, Kopecky KE, Schwarze ML, Suwanabol PA
- J Surg Educ 2019 Nov - Dec; 76(6): 1506-1515
- [PubMed ID: 31060970]
- Patient and Family Engagement During Treatment Decisions in an ICU: A Discourse Analysis of the Electronic Health Record.
- Kruser JM, Benjamin BT, Gordon EJ, Michelson KN, Wunderink RG, Holl JL, Schwarze ML
- Crit. Care Med. 2019 Jun; 47(6): 784-791
- [PubMed ID: 30896465]