Margaret L Schwarze, MD, MPP, FACS
- Division of Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston , MA, 1995
- Residency in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1996-2002
- Research Fellowship, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Boston, MA, 1998-2000
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2002-2004
- Fellowship in Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2003-2004
Dr. Schwarze specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery. She is board certified in both general surgery and vascular surgery.
Dr. Schwarze provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Schwarze is a board-certified vascular surgeon and medical ethicist. She is a nationally recognized expert in surgical decision making, informed consent, advance directives and end-of-life care.
Her research focuses on improving communication between older patients and their surgeons so that patients can avoid unwanted treatment and make decisions that align with their values, preferences and goals.
- Promoting Secure Provider-to-Provider Communication With Electronic Health Record Messaging: An Educational Outreach Study.
- Walsh KE, Secor JL, Matsumura JS, Schwarze ML, Potter BE, Newcomer P, Kim MK, Bartels CM
- J Healthc Qual 2017 Dec 22;
- [PubMed ID: 29280777]
- Surgical Transfer Decision Making: How Regional Resources are Allocated in a Regional Transfer Network.
- Kummerow Broman K, Ward MJ, Poulose BK, Schwarze ML
- Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2018 Jan; 44(1): 33-42
- [PubMed ID: 29290244]
- Harms of unsuccessful donation after circulatory death: An exploratory study.
- Taylor LJ, Buffington A, Scalea JR, Fost N, Croes KD, Mezrich JD, Schwarze ML
- Am. J. Transplant. 2017 Aug 14;
- [PubMed ID: 28805291]
- Recalculating the Costs of Overtriage: A Teachable Moment.
- Taylor LJ, Julliard WA, Schwarze ML
- JAMA Intern Med 2017 Sep 01; 177(9): 1367-1368
- [PubMed ID: 28783819]
- Managing Uncertainty - Harnessing the Power of Scenario Planning.
- Schwarze ML, Taylor LJ
- N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 Jul 20; 377(3): 206-208
- [PubMed ID: 28723329]