Margaret L Schwarze, MD, MPP, FACS
- Endowed Professor, Morgridge Professorship in Vascular Surgery
- Division of Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1995
- MPP, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA, 1995
- Residency in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1996-2002
- Research Fellowship, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Boston, MA, 1998-2000
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2002-2004
- Fellowship in Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2003-2004
Dr. Schwarze specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery. She is board certified in both general surgery and vascular surgery.
Dr. Schwarze provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Schwarze is a board-certified vascular surgeon and medical ethicist. She is a nationally recognized expert in surgical decision making, informed consent, advance directives and end-of-life care.
Her research focuses on improving communication between older patients and their surgeons so that patients can avoid unwanted treatment and make decisions that align with their values, preferences and goals.
- Risk Calculators and Decision Aids Are Not Enough for Shared Decision Making.
- Kopecky KE, Urbach D, Schwarze ML
- JAMA Surg 2018 Sep 19;
- [PubMed ID: 30326000]
- Third-Year Medical Students' Reactions to Surgical Patients in Pain: Doubt, Distress, and Depersonalization.
- Kopecky KE, Zens TJ, Suwanabol PA, Schwarze ML
- J Pain Symptom Manage 2018 Nov; 56(5): 719-726.e1
- [PubMed ID: 30144537]
- Using Implementation Science to Adapt a Training Program to Assist Surgeons with High-Stakes Communication.
- Taylor LJ, Adkins S, Hoel AW, Hauser J, Suwanabol P, Wood G, Anderson W, Branson C, Skube S, Johnson SK, Zelenski A, Tucholka JL, Campbell TC, Schwarze ML
- J Surg Educ 2019 Jan - Feb; 76(1): 165-173
- [PubMed ID: 30626527]
- Hospice Use and End-of-Life Care for Patients With End-stage Renal Disease: Too Little, Too Late.
- Schwarze ML, Schueller K, Jhagroo RA
- JAMA Intern Med 2018 Jun 01; 178(6): 799-801
- [PubMed ID: 29710316]
- Secure Provider-to-Provider Communication With Electronic Health Record Messaging: An Educational Outreach Study.
- Walsh KE, Secor JL, Matsumura JS, Schwarze ML, Potter BE, Newcomer P, Kim MK, Bartels CM
- J Healthc Qual 2018 Sep/Oct; 40(5): 283-291
- [PubMed ID: 29280777]