Margaret L Schwarze, MD, MPP, FACS
- Endowed Professor, Morgridge Professorship in Vascular Surgery
- Division of Vascular Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1995
- MPP, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA, 1995
- Residency in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1996-2002
- Research Fellowship, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Boston, MA, 1998-2000
- Fellowship in Vascular Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2002-2004
- Fellowship in Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL, 2003-2004
Dr. Schwarze specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery. She is board certified in both general surgery and vascular surgery.
Dr. Schwarze provides a wide range of services including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Endovascular, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair – Open, Amputation, Angioplasty With Stent Placement, Carotid Endartecotomy, Carotid Stenting, Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Peripheral Artery Bypass, Varicose Vein Treatment.
Dr. Schwarze is a board-certified vascular surgeon and medical ethicist. She is a nationally recognized expert in surgical decision making, informed consent, advance directives and end-of-life care.
Her research focuses on improving communication between older patients and their surgeons so that patients can avoid unwanted treatment and make decisions that align with their values, preferences and goals.
- Lower Extremity Amputation and Health Care Utilization in the Last Year of Life among Medicare Beneficiaries with ESRD.
- Butler CR, Schwarze ML, Katz R, Hailpern SM, Kreuter W, Hall YN, Montez Rath ME, O'Hare AM
- J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2019 Feb 19;
- [PubMed ID: 30782596]
- Family and transplant professionals' views of organ recovery before circulatory death for imminently dying patients: A qualitative study using semistructured interviews and focus groups.
- Zimmermann CJ, Baggett ND, Taylor LJ, Buffington A, Scalea J, Fost N, Croes KD, Mezrich JD, Schwarze ML
- Am. J. Transplant. 2019 Feb 15;
- [PubMed ID: 30768840]
- Cost and Outcomes Information Should Be Part of Shared Decision Making-Reply.
- Schwarze ML, Urbach D, Kopecky KE
- JAMA Surg 2019 Feb 13;
- [PubMed ID: 30758489]
- Risk Calculators and Decision Aids Are Not Enough for Shared Decision Making.
- Kopecky KE, Urbach D, Schwarze ML
- JAMA Surg 2018 Sep 19;
- [PubMed ID: 30326000]
- Third-Year Medical Students' Reactions to Surgical Patients in Pain: Doubt, Distress, and Depersonalization.
- Kopecky KE, Zens TJ, Suwanabol PA, Schwarze ML
- J Pain Symptom Manage 2018 Nov; 56(5): 719-726.e1
- [PubMed ID: 30144537]