Peter F Nichol, MD, PhD
- Endowed Professorship, Cars Curing Kids Professorship Fund for Pediatric Surgical Disease Research
- Division of Pediatric Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-0001
Scheduling or patient-related questions: (608) 263-6420
Administrative assistance: (608) 263-9419
- Medical School, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1997
- PhD, Doctorate in Neurosciences, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1997
- Residency, General Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, 1998-1999
- General Surgery, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1999-2003
- Fellowship, Pediatric Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, 2003-2005
Dr. Nichol is certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. He specializes in all types of pediatric surgical cases and has a special interest in children with short gut syndrome otherwise known as intestinal failure. He’s also interested in the development of the intestine and in birth defects involving the intestine and the abdominal wall. He specializes in minimally invasive surgery and is Director of the Short Gut Program at American Family Children’s Hospital as well as a member of the Nutrition Support Team.
For a complete listing of conditions for which our pediatric surgeons provide treatment, please click here.
Dr. Nichol’s laboratory research focuses on intestinal development with a goal of developing therapies that will enable growth of the gut in patients with intestinal failure. He has an NIH funded lab and is the 2013 Stanley J. Dudrick Research Award Recipient.
- RW-2018-Research Workshop: The Effect of Nutrition on Epigenetic Status, Growth, and Health.
- Skinner M, Lumey LH, Fleming TP, Sapienza C, Hoyo C, Aronica L, Thompson J, Nichol PF
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2019 Apr 17;
- [PubMed ID: 30997688]
- Practice Variation in Umbilical Hernia Repair Demonstrates a Need for Best Practice Guidelines.
- Zens TJ, Cartmill R, Muldowney BL, Fernandes-Taylor S, Nichol P, Kohler JE
- J. Pediatr. 2019 Mar; 206: 172-177
- [PubMed ID: 30448274]
- Age-dependent outcomes in asymptomatic umbilical hernia repair.
- Zens TJ, Rogers A, Cartmill R, Ostlie D, Muldowney BL, Nichol P, Kohler JE
- Pediatr. Surg. Int. 2019 Apr; 35(4): 463-468
- [PubMed ID: 30430281]
- Fractured pediatric central venous catheters - Repair or replace?
- Zens T, Nichol P, Leys C, Haines K, Brinkman A
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2019 Jan; 54(1): 165-169
- [PubMed ID: 30466713]
- Research Agenda 2018: The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition.
- Compher C, Jain AK, Nichol PF, Blackmer A, Earthman C, Evans DC, McCarthy MS, Taylor B, Mehta N
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2018 Jul; 42(5): 838-844
- [PubMed ID: 30001460]