Peter F Nichol, MD, PhD
- Division of Pediatric Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53792
- Medical School, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1997
- PhD, Doctorate in Neurosciences, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1997
- Residency, General Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, 1998-1999
- General Surgery, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1999-2003
- Fellowship, Pediatric Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, 2003-2005
Dr. Nichol is certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery and Pediatric Surgery. He specializes in all types of pediatric surgical cases and has a special interest in children with short gut syndrome otherwise known as intestinal failure. He’s also interested in the development of the intestine and in birth defects involving the intestine and the abdominal wall. He specializes in minimally invasive surgery and is Director of the Short Gut Program at American Family Children’s Hospital as well as a member of the Nutrition Support Team.
For a complete listing of conditions for which our pediatric surgeons provide treatment, please click here.
Dr. Nichol’s laboratory research focuses on intestinal development with a goal of developing therapies that will enable growth of the gut in patients with intestinal failure. He has an NIH funded lab and is the 2013 Stanley J. Dudrick Research Award Recipient.
- Management of asymptomatic pediatric umbilical hernias: a systematic review.
- Zens T, Nichol PF, Cartmill R, Kohler JE
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2017 Nov; 52(11): 1723-1731
- [PubMed ID: 28778691]
- Synchronous Presentation of Renal Cell Carcinoma and Hodgkin Lymphoma in an Adolescent.
- Elsaid MY, Gill KG, Gosain A, Nichol PF, Leys CM, Buehler D, Leith CP, Patel NJ
- J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2017 Oct; 39(7): e399-e402
- [PubMed ID: 28092312]
- Outcomes from a 12-Week, Open-Label, Multicenter Clinical Trial of Teduglutide in Pediatric Short Bowel Syndrome.
- Carter BA, Cohran VC, Cole CR, Corkins MR, Dimmitt RA, Duggan C, Hill S, Horslen S, Lim JD, Mercer DF, Merritt RJ, Nichol PF, Sigurdsson L, Teitelbaum DH, Thompson J, Vanderpool C, Vaughan JF, Li B, Youssef NN, Venick RS, Kocoshis SA
- J. Pediatr. 2017 Feb; 181: 102-111.e5
- [PubMed ID: 27855998]
- A call for a standardized definition of perforated appendicitis.
- Rogers AP, Zens TJ, Leys CM, Nichol PF, Ostlie DJ
- J. Pediatr. Surg. 2017 Jan; 52(1): 89-92
- [PubMed ID: 27884453]
- A Single Institution Review of Initial Application of a 5-mm Stapler.
- Rogers AP, Zens TJ, Kohler JE, Le HD, Nichol PF, Leys CM
- J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2016 Aug; 26(8): 660-2
- [PubMed ID: 27398952]