Rebecca S Sippel, MD, FACS
- Vice Chair of Academic Affairs and Professional Development
- Chief, Division of Endocrine Surgery
600 Highland Ave
Box 7375 Clincial Science Cntr-H4
Madison, WI 53792-3284
- MD, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1999
- Residency, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1999-2006
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, Endocrine Surgery Research Lab, 2001-2003
- Fellowship in Endocrine Surgery, University of California- San Francisco, CA, 2006-2007
Dr. Sippel is certified by the American Board of Surgery. She specializes in endocrine surgery, treating diseases of the thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal glands. She utilizes several minimally invasive techniques to treat endocrine disorders (minimally invasive parathyroidectomy, laparoscopic adrenalectomy, focused exploration for recurrent thyroid cancer). She has a special interest in treating patients with Graves’ disease, hyperparathyroidism and recurrent thyroid cancer.
Dr. Sippel provides a wide range of services including Adrenal Surgery, Central Neck Dissection, Endocrine Surgery, Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA), Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy, Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy (MIRP), Modified Radical Neck Dissection, Neck Ultrasound, Open Adrenalectomy, Parathyroid Surgery, Resection Of Substernal Goiter, Subtotal Parathyroidectomy, Thyroidectomy, Thyroid Lobectomy, Thyroid Surgery, Total Thyroidectomy.
Dr. Sippel conducts translational research at the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center. Her research program investigates the development and treatment of endocrine tumors with a special interest in thyroid cancer. She also conducts clinical research working on improving the care and outcomes of patients with endocrine tumors. Dr. Sippel is also interested in improving patient education and decision making related to the treatment of Graves’ Disease.
- Assessing American Thyroid Association Guidelines for Total Thyroidectomy in Graves' Disease.
- Akram S, Elfenbein DM, Chen H, Schneider DF, Sippel RS
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Aug 08; 245: 64-71
- [PubMed ID: 31401249]
- The Art and Science of Endocrine Surgery.
- Sippel RS, Schneider DF
- Surg. Clin. North Am. 2019 Aug; 99(4): xv-xvi
- [PubMed ID: 31255209]
- A Qualitative Analysis of the Preoperative Needs of Patients With Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
- Pitt SC, Wendt E, Saucke MC, Voils CI, Orne J, Macdonald CL, Connor NP, Sippel RS
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Jul 12; 244: 324-331
- [PubMed ID: 31306889]
- Optimizing Levothyroxine Dose Adjustment After Thyroidectomy With a Decision Tree.
- Chen SS, Zaborek NA, Doubleday AR, Schaefer SC, Long KL, Pitt SC, Sippel RS, Schneider DF
- J. Surg. Res. 2019 Jul 04; 244: 102-106
- [PubMed ID: 31279993]
- Utility of Early Postoperative Unstimulated Thyroglobulin in Influencing Decision Making in Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma.
- McDow AD, Shumway CM, Pitt SC, Schneider DF, Sippel RS, Long KL
- Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2019 Jul 02;
- [PubMed ID: 31267301]