Michael L Bentz, MD
- Layton F. Rikkers MD Chair of Surgical Leadership
- Professor of Surgery, Pediatrics and Neurosurgery
- Chairman, Division of Plastic Surgery
600 Highland Avenue
Box 3236, Clinical Science Center
Madison, WI 53792
- MD, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, 1984
- Residency in Surgery, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, 1984-1989
- Fellowship in Microvascular Research, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 1989-1990
- Residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 1990-1992
Dr. Bentz is certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. Bentz’s practice focuses on plastic and reconstructive surgery for infants and children. He has special interests in pediatric hand surgery; cleft lip and palate surgery; chest, abdominal wall, and extremity reconstruction; and the treatment of birthmarks and vascular lesions. He also performs general reconstruction of the adult trunk, extremities, and head and neck.
Dr. Bentz provides a wide range of services including Brachial Plexus Surgery, Breast Reduction, Carpal Tunnel Release, Chest Wall and Thoracic Reconstruction, Congenital Defects, Digital Replantation, Ear Surgery (Otoplasty), Extended Efforts in Limb Salvage, Gynecologic Oncology Reconstruction, Lower Extremity Reconstruction, Microvascular Reconstruction, Mohs Defect Reconstruction, Nerve Repair, Pediatric Hand Surgery, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Skin Cancer Reconstruction, Tendon Repairs.
Dr. Bentz’s research interests focus primarily on outcomes in gynecologic oncology reconstruction and intra- and extra thoracic reconstruction as well as educational outcomes.
- Evaluation of a new T2 Magnetic Resonance assay for rapid detection of emergent fungal pathogen Candida auris on clinical skin swab samples.
- Sexton DJ, Bentz ML, Welsh RM, Litvintseva AP
- Mycoses 2018 Oct; 61(10): 786-790
- [PubMed ID: 29938838]
- Seeing is Believing? Preoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Pressure Ulcers: Implications for Surgical Management.
- McCarthy J, Hartmann E, Bentz ML, Rao VK, Jee Y, Rivedal D, Poore SO
- Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2017 Mar; 5(3): e1263
- [PubMed ID: 28458977]
- The Plastic Surgeon at Work and Play: Surgeon Health, Practice Stress, and Work-Home Balance.
- Bentz ML
- Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2016 Oct; 4(10): e1081
- [PubMed ID: 27826476]
- Welcome Letter.
- Bentz ML, Mehrara BJ
- Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2016 Apr; 4(4 Suppl AAPS and PSRC 2016 Abstract Supplement): 1
- [PubMed ID: 27867777]
- Making Master Surgeons Out of Trainees: Part I. Teaching Surgical Judgment.
- Kempton SJ, Bentz ML
- Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2016 May; 137(5): 1646-53
- [PubMed ID: 27119935]