Surgical education research at the University of Wisconsin-Madison combines the efforts of educators, surgeons, learning scientists, collaborators, and administrative staff both at and outside the university.
Our team’s mission is to improve the quality and effectiveness surgical education through research and innovation at the University of Wisconsin.
Projects we have worked on include:
- Fluidity of teaching strategies employed in CME courses
- Assessment of a guide for structured debriefing after trauma team scenarios
- Identifying patterns of speech associated with expertise in simulated laparoscopic procedures
- Automated analysis of communication in simulated trauma resuscitations
- Development of a tool for assessing competence in surgical consultation
- Utilizing virtual patient cases for the development of clinical reasoning