To be considered for the General Surgery residency program, please make sure the following materials reach our offices by October 15 through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service):
- Completed application form
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal statement of interest
- Your medical school transcript
- A letter of support from your Dean
- USMLE Scores
Note: We will accept only those application materials sent electronically through ERAS.
For information regarding visas, please refer to the Graduate Medical Education Criteria for Visa Sponsorship.
All application files will be reviewed by our selection committee. We will inform you by email of their decision regarding an interview. If you move, it is important that you send us written notice of your change of address, telephone number, and email address.
Interviews will take place on the following days:
- Friday, December 2
- Tuesday, December 6
- Thursday, December 8 (Rural/Community position)
- Wednesday, December 14
- Tuesday, January 17
Note: There are no off cycle PGY2-PGY5 residency openings available at this time.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
University of Wisconsin General Surgery 2023 Match Pledge
We are thrilled that you are interested in our program and in the spirit of transparency wanted to put out a statement regarding Match Season:
- We are committed to a holistic review of all applications
- We have 6 categorical academic positions for which we will interview 80 candidates
- We have 1 categorical rural/community position for which we will interview 20 candidates
- Interviews will be offered by October 28, 2022 to fill the 100 slots
- We will NOT invite more candidates to interview than we have interview slots available
- If a slot opens up due to a cancellation by a candidate, additional invites may be sent out through our last interview date
- All interviews will be virtual
- If the local rules allow, we will host two in-person social events in Madison for you to get a glimpse into the city in January
- We will set our rank list prior to our first in-person social event. This event will be a voluntary, post-evaluative event
General Surgery Residency
Angie Badura, MAEd
GME Program Coordinator